THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Opinions on 375 cal 270 gr Hornady Bullet?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
378 Weatherby Magnum for varmints???

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Any on game experiences with these bullets on game? How did they hold up? Range, velocity etc? This is a extremely accurate bullet in my 378 WBY Mag at 3100 fps. TIA

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like them Pop but I did have a few instances of "failure" on elk and that @ H&H velocities. At 3,100, I doubt you'll be happy for long.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I like them Pop but I did have a few instances of "failure" on elk and that @ H&H velocities. At 3,100, I doubt you'll be happy for long.

Nice way to put it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 270 sp several times on eland on exotic ranches in Texas with good resuts. However, this was at about 2400 fps. One lung shot with a hole on both sides, one through the spine and ended up backwards on the off side hide. I'm not sure I'd push them much beyond 2400 or use them on a high dollar hunt. I'm using the 260 Nosler accubond in a few weeks in Namibia. By the way, I've found the accubonds cheap (about $15 for 50) on the nosler pro shop web site where they sell seconds. bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the 300 gr Hornady RN in my .375 H&H and it quite soft, although good for pigs and grassy's thats at aprox 2500 fps give or take...it would make a great varmint round with your .378 !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop,

It's commmon talk that conventional bullets should not be used on game if their muzzle velocity is over 2800 fps.

When I had a 378 Weatherby the bullet that shot very well was the 270 gr Hornady Spire Point. Perhaps it's a similar bullet that your thinking about?

At that time Nosler had stopped making any Partitions in .375 and there were no other premium bullets that I knew of. So the advice was to sell the rifle and shoot the .375's that did not have so much powder capacity. This I did and I did not regret it for decades. Today there are such premium bullets however.

For some reason I can't get the handbook load for that bullet out of my mind using surplus 4831. That must because I never loaded it up over the minimum. Talk about recoil velocity! Ouch!

To add: I noticed the link to Groove Bullets in your signature. They make a .375 bullet! That's what to use on game out of that cannon.

http://www.groovebullets.com/bulletdata.html

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Pop,

When I had a 378 Weatherby the bullet that shot very well was the 270 gr Hornady Spire Point. Perhaps it's a similar bullet that your thinking about?

To add: I noticed the link to Groove Bullets in your signature. They make a .375 bullet! That's what to use on game out of that cannon.

http://www.groovebullets.com/bulletdata.html

Yes the 270 Spire Point is the one I am talking about. As far as the Groove 375 goes...... read this

http://www.groovebullets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1681