New
Find
Notify
Tools

38 Special
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I plan to load some 158gr hard cast bullets in 38 cases for my model 19 357 mag. I have a dillon press which taper crimps the cases. Should I try to crimp in the crimp groove which is ment for a roll crimp or crimp on the last solid band after the crimp groove?
I also plan to load 4.0 and 4.5 of Win 231 behind these for a light plinking load. Any suggestions would be appreciated .

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always taper crimped in the crimp grove. The taper crimp works just fine on light loads, removes mouth bell nicley and doesn't work the brass nearly as much as rolled crimp.

One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
If you truely want plinking loads 2.7 grs of bullseye with a 148gr wad cutter.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Unique, I'll crimp in the crimp groove.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a TC die and crimp in the groove, and use six grains of AA #5 behind my own cast 158s. VERY accurate, extremely mild, and reasonably clean to boot...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load these by the buckets full. Lee cast SWC's, using recycled bullet scrap which is so hard I can't mark them with a thumb nail.

Red Dot 3-4gr. Most anything similar is good.

I use the same charge in 06's w/115gr cast RN's too. Great out to 200ft. Perfect for teaching women and kids how to shoot the big guns without hurting or scaring them.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6001 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to hijack this message, but for some reason my computer won't let me start a new thread. I have a general crimping question. If crimping a SWC (38) should the top of the brass fit in the canalure, or be snug against the bullet head. Sorry to demonstrate my noobiosity, but can't find a real in depth instruction. In addition, is it beneficial to have a separate crimping die. I currently use an RCBS progressive with seat and crimp in the same die.

Thanks