New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 win mag reduced loads for 12 year old
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does any one have some sugestions on reduced loads for 300 win mag for a 12 year old? To start with dear hunting Wisconsin white tails.

Posts: 29 | Location: WI. | Registered: 24 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Check the Hodgdon sight

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For information purposes.

I have shot the Remington Managed Recoil 150gr load in my 300 Win MAG.

It kicks like a standard 308 load.

A lot less than the 300 Mag but still might be too much for a 12year olds first hunt.

I have loaded 150gr bullets for the 30-30 at 2000fps in a 308 and a 30-06 for new deer hunters and they killed game just fine.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
There are lots of loads that will do well..

I had some fun with 22 grains of Unique with a 150 grain bullet duplicating 30/30 velocities and 30/30 recoil...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No doubt there are plenty of good reduced loads for a .300 Win mag. But unless you have a rifle with a shorten stock or your child is unusually large the fit will be less than desirable anyway. Poorly fit rifles will have more felt recoil due to the awkward way they must be held to shoot.....just a thought coming from a father of a boy who started hunting and shooting very early.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by liv2shoot:
Does any one have some sugestions on reduced loads for 300 win mag for a 12 year old? To start with dear hunting Wisconsin white tails.

Yes! It is a 257 Roberts,100 gr. Hornady interlock driven x 42.5 gr. H380. Oh My Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was 12 years old and weighed 80 pounds, I hunted with a 12 gauge that almost pushed me over every time I shot.

No sympathy from my father, he laughed at how far it pushed me.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But unless you have a rifle with a shorten stock or your child is unusually large the fit will be less than desirable anyway.

This is a key point. A proper gun fit not only reduces the felt recoil it will help the shooter handle the gun and sight properly. You don't want to turn off a potential hunter and shooter by making him labor with a 9 lb 300 Win Mag that he's too small to shoot well anyway.

Roger's idea is excellent.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
When I was 12 years old and weighed 80 pounds, I hunted with a 12 gauge that almost pushed me over every time I shot.

No sympathy from my father, he laughed at how far it pushed me.

Last year while my son and I were antelope hunting...out of the blue my boy decides he wants to fill his license using the .300 Win mag. He is 13, never shot the gun before in his life. I left him off to get a good position on his antelope buck, 240 yd. shot dropped the beast in his tracks. The boy got clocked right in the middle of his glasses. He quickly learned a couple of lessons about recoil and gun fit. I don't load reduced loads.
He did however use the same rifle one month later to make a beautiful shot on his first cow elk...injury free.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A .243 or even a .22-250 will inspire a lot more confidence than even a reduced load in a .300. Too much rifle for a twelve year old, IMO. He will be far more likely to kill a deer with a .223 and good bullets.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by liv2shoot:

Yes! It is a 257 Roberts,100 gr. Hornady interlock driven x 42.5 gr. H380. Oh My Eekerroger

clap clap clap

As others have said, a good deal depends on the fit of the rifle. Probably moreso than the calibre.
JMHO, best of luck.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote