New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primers: Match Grade vs Standard Federal #215
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the difference between the Federal #215 "Match Grade" and the "standard" Federal #215 primers? Can you tell a difference in accuracy between the two? Thanks!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This question has come up before, and as I have always understood it, the match primers are basically manufactured on the best/most consistent equipment by the most skilled operators, or something along those lines. I haven't ever noticed any difference, but since they're the same price around here, I buy them anyway.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Good to see a couple of Good Ole' Texas boys posting.

MHC, like Kingfisher said there isn't much of a price diff. so, I just buy the better ones.

It may just be me but, I have found I get alittle different accuracy when switching between Fed. GM primers and WLRM primers. Some cart. and powders seem to do alittle better w/ the wins and some the feds. May just be me having a bad day at the range or something.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I always try Federal 215 Match primers first, then regular Federal 215s. For some reason, all of my current rifles (in which I use magnum primers) do a bit better with standard 215s, both in terms of accuracy and consistent chronograph readings.

I bought a big lot of them a number of years ago, and it could be that it just happens to be a very consistent batch. You really have to try samples of each, and I would only try samples out of specific lots that are plentiful enough and available enough for you to purchase more of that same exact lot if the results are exceptionally good.

Some guys have better luck with 215Ms though, and that's a fact.

AD

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I've been slowly switching over to the match primers for my loads. I don't think that the cost differnence is much and I 'seem' to get better accuracy. I haven't went out of my way to test this however.

FWIW,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use nothing but Fed 210M and 215M primers. I had no complaints on the accuracy with the regular primers, and I couldn't say that my accuracy is better now, I just decided to get rid of the primer variable. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried match primers and regular "blue collar" primers.

The match grade may have better accuracy, but my shooting ability is the same with either primer.

So I use the regular ones, and since I am not competition shooting for score, regular primers always give me more than enough accuracy.

Unlike Texas, evidently, the cost of Match primers run about a dollar to a buck and a quarter higher per one hundred.
Won't break the bank, but with my shooting ability being constant to me, using Match Primers is like putting High Test in a VW Bug. 84 mph is still all you are ever going to see.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote