New
Find
Notify
Tools

.404 Jeffery
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know where I can get a .404 Jeffery neck sizing die? There doesn't appear to be anyone who makes them.

Thanks.

Posts: 58 | Location: Tindal N.T Australia | Registered: 27 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I had my FLS die opened up in the neck so that is just sized my Norma brass down for a 2 thou under bullet dia sizing and then set the die with a .1 spacer under the die for a simple neck sizing operation. When I want to FLS the brass I simply remove the spacer from under the die and am all set to go. The 404 case has a good long neck and the .1 short of FLS still leaves good sized length for bullet hold. The advantage of the opened up neck is that even with FLS the brass does not get over worked and lasts very well. Annealing every 5th sizing and some cases have had many anealings to date with multiple firings.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Any particular reason for a neck sizing die? Similar to Von Gruff I just back my FL die off to size the neck only and not the body. The 404 being a nice tapered case allows neck sizing without hardly touching the body. Annealing is definitely the key to long case life with these big shells and will pay for itself over and over again. Simple to setup and do.

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always had neck sizing dies for every calibre I've ever loaded. It is something I'v always done.

I suppose my reasoning is if neck sizing dies aren't necessary why are they still being made? A counter argument to that is I can't find a neck sizing die for a .404 so maybe they aren't necessary for a .404 Jeffery.

If I can't find one, and that is looking more likely than not, then I'll try setting the FL die up to just size most of the neck, which is what I was going to try tonight before I got given jobs to do by the "boss". Roll Eyes

Posts: 58 | Location: Tindal N.T Australia | Registered: 27 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have a Hornady neck sizing die for the 404 Jeffery, but don't know if they still make them.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will email Hornady and ask, interested in selling your neck sizing die? Smiler

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nt:
I've always had neck sizing dies for every calibre I've ever loaded. It is something I'v always done.

I suppose my reasoning is if neck sizing dies aren't necessary why are they still being made? A counter argument to that is I can't find a neck sizing die for a .404 so maybe they aren't necessary for a .404 Jeffery.

If I can't find one, and that is looking more likely than not, then I'll try setting the FL die up to just size most of the neck, which is what I was going to try tonight before I got given jobs to do by the "boss". Roll Eyes

I wouldn't say a neck sizing die is not necessary for the 404 cartridge probably just not the demand for them in this calibre. Personally I would only use new FL sized cases when hunting dangerous game with reloaded ammo, but for general use I have got extremely long life from my RWS cases just by annealing every so often. An original packet of these RWS cases first used new for reloaded ammo on Aussie buffalo in 1978 is still going strong, admittedly now mostly with cast loads but quite some use with normal jacketed loads too. Lost a couple after a good few years before I started annealing but the remaining cases I never give a thought to losing. Still have an unused packet of RWS brass which I'm keeping for Africa or maybe Oz again some day.

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've emailed Hornady but I'm not holding my breath.
I was thinking about getting a FL die and getting one of the guys at work to put it in a lathe and drill/ream it out a little.

I posed that query to a gunsmith and he wasn't that interested, suggested I try and get a neck sizing die. Around in circles!!