THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    time to buy more 130 gr. bullets for my .270: need input

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

time to buy more 130 gr. bullets for my .270: need input
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm about out of my supply of 130 gr. bullets for my .270s. Use them mostly for coyotes, some deer. Have not bought any for a LONG time. In terms of accuracy in the past few years, which cup & core brands have you found to be really accurate in your rifles: my old ones were Nosler BT. Thought about Sierras as well. What say you? thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't matter what shoots well in my rifle. Your rifle will define what it loves.

Personally, if I were starting a search, I'd begin with Sierra's SBT and Hornady Interlocks.

Heck . . . searching for the perfect load is part of the fun!

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
too bad you wasn't looking for sierra's before Remington bought them and jumped the price up about 20%

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of my 270s have have liked the Hornady Interlock in that weight.

Posts: 665 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I've always maintained that if a rifle won't shoot well with Sierras it won't shot with anything. Sierras for me in any calibre I've owned or loaded for have always performed well.
Unfortunately as Lamar points out they have got rather expensive for a cup and core but I prefer them over any other bullet.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
just about all my loads for deer size game is SIERRA SPBT. 6mm. 6.5mm. .277, 7mm. .308
just like eagle27 said if it don't shoot SIERRA, well...

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep an eye on Shooters Pro Shop, they sometimes have good prices on Blem AB 110 grain bullets, these are suitable for the range of game you're hunting. I haven't checked recently, I stocked up a while back.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you've been using Nosler Ballistic Tips then there is no reason to switch to anything else. But any 130 grain cup-and-core will do the job for you.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son and three grandsons shoot 4 .270 WSM's and the 130 grain bullet is our go to size bullet for Deer sized game. I was lucky to buy many 130 grain of the old Nosler Solidbase bullet from Their Pro Shop outlet. The Ballistic tip is the old Solidbase with a plastic tip. You can buy all you want first run or blems from Nosler. I have has great luck with blems for yeaars. Go buy what you need and then some. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:[ . . . ]I was lucky to buy many 130 grain of the old Nosler Solidbase bullet from Their Pro Shop outlet.[ . . . ]
I bought several hundred of them myself a long time ago. I think I acquired mine directly from Nosler. Excellent bullet, and more than accurate enough for deer in my .270. Some of mine have cannelures, some do not.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go to bullet is the Remington corelokts I have never has a deer go more than 50 yds a lot of those whitetails never knew what hit them they drop right in there tracks.

Posts: 118 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I once called up Nosler and talked/complained to one of their engineers about how Nosler partitions were penciling through the mule deer that I had been hunting with not much performance. He said that the official company recommendation for deer and elk bullet selection was the Nosler Partition but he also mentioned that I would be well served with the Nosler BT. He talked about the difficulty in designing a bullet, say a .308 165g bullet, that would work well for a white tail hunter out of a tree stand in Minnesota shooting a level action .308 at 70 yards and also serve a 300 WM for a Alaska caribou hunter shooting 400 yards across the tundra.

As was mentioned the Nosler BT is a Solid base model with a plastic tip on it. When you look at the cutaway photos of the BT, including their varmint bullets say a 40g .224, you will see that thick solid base and usually there is a velocity range factor on the label that indicates that the upper end of velocity for the BT is UNLIMITED. I have found the BT in .224, .243, 6.5, .277, and .308 to perform wonderfully on game at many extremes of distance from 60 yards to 600 yards with very good hunting accuracy. Not target grade accuracy but with varmint grade and big game grade accuracy.

I think that one of the great values in bullets today, that is packed with performance, is the Nosler Ballistic Tip product line.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devere:
I'm about out of my supply of 130 gr. bullets for my .270s. Use them mostly for coyotes, some deer. Have not bought any for a LONG time. In terms of accuracy in the past few years, which cup & core brands have you found to be really accurate in your rifles: my old ones were Nosler BT. Thought about Sierras as well. What say you? thank you.

Barnes ttsx 130g tu2

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Hornady SST or Interlock.
Both are quite accurate for me.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on your gun, up to you to find out what the gun shoots best with...Ive had good luck with Hornadys, Noslers, Some guns shoot all bullets well, some shoot all bullets to the same POI..some do both..They are fairly rare, but they are out there, I keep most of the ones that will do that..Im kind off and accuracy nut..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
As Ray was saying some .270 rifles shoot all grain bullets to the same point of impact at 100 yards I have one that does with 130 thru 150 grains using imr 4350.
At longer ranges 300+ I do need to aim slightly higher with the 150 but not as much as you would think. I still have alot of Remington 130 grain cor lokts and Winchester 130 grain power points that I used to buy for less than 40.00 per 500. What I have found is the Remington was slightly more accurate than the Winchester but the winchester expander more easily but either one was a killer on whitetail and mule deer and elk. I don't know if you can still get these as factory components or not but the price was always reasonable.
And of course if you want a bullet that always holds together the good old Partition is hard to beat and Barnes makes some very impressive bullets.
Hope this helps

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote