New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pressure for .404 Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would some one be able to estimate the pressure, and speeds if possible generated for the 400 gr woodleigh bullet in the .404 J Norma Brass for;

71 gr of Varget
73 gr of Varget
76 gr of Varget
80 gr of Varget
83 gr of Varget
85 Gr of Varget

I am trying to work out what will be a good load in my 1909 Mauser .404 J without pushing the envelope of the 1909 action. and get 2300 fps or do I just need to stock with a load that will do original ballistics of 2150 fps.....................I do not want casue any lug set back in this gun and will settle for super mild loads if need be to avoid this ever happening.

Regards PC.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I am relatively new to loading for the .404 Jeffrey and I got all of my usable loads from Rat Atkinson. Varget is a IMR-4895 class powder and has a relatively quick paek pressure curve. Ray has got me to use 4350 (I would have to look at my loads at home to tell you what) and 4831 with 400 gr. bullets. Using the slow burners would sustain the pressure over a longer period but would take a lot longer to build up. I think this is preferable, in your case, to using a powder that peaks quickly. The 1909 is a beautiful action but I think it has the same characteristics as any of the German actions in that the bolts are carbuerized very hard and the receivers are quite soft. I had at one time about six of these that I had heat treated and I don't worry about lug setback with any sane load. I also get better accuracy with 4350 and 4831. PM Ray about this and he may be able to answer your question better.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Your concerns are well taken. Working up loads in my 8mmX404X2.5 I got set back and from case and primer evidence it didn't look like the pressures were abnormally high. My 98 action was not hardened and the bolt thrust increase with the larger diameter case is significant. Somebody has to make the mistakes to get the lesson right. Red Faceroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks,

AR2209 is Oz's IMR4350 give or take and 80 gr of that will give you 2100 fps....................I would be happy with 2250 fps so maybe 82-84 gr of that will get me there, I think I will steer clear of Varget.

I have had my 1909 heat treated/carbourized for what it's worth.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I played w/ a couple of loads using RL15, pretty close. I settled on RL19 or IMR4831 for 2200fps using a 400gr Woodleigh or Hawk. I get about 50fps more w/ a 380grNF.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fred,

hoping some of the usual .404 J suspects will also post up........................probably should have posted this on Big Bores