Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x284 run our problem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted
I`ve been loading some 6.5x284 for a new M1999 I just put together and can`t seem to seat a bullet in these cases with out having excessive run-out. This is the 3rd time I`ve played with these cases and the run out on a fire case = <.001, FL sized cases go ~.001+ @ the mouth. When I seat a bullet I find run-out of .004-.008 @ ~.1"-.15" in front of the case mouth.

I`m useing Forster BR dies, a Co-Ax press and have tried rotating the cartridge during seating. The cases are Lapua. I don`t, nor do I plan on turning them as the chamber is std SAAMI geometry and I doubt I gain anything more then slop in cartridge fit which won`t help accuracy either. The bullet I am loading is Hornadys 129 SSTs` which are a BT type bullet that normally is easy to get started straight in the case. I tried Sierra 120gr SPs and found the same problem a week ago thinking the tip might be a part of the problem.

I load for 9 different cartridges and this is the only one that has gave me trouble seating a bullet straight. I realize that with out turning cases I won`t get perfect run-out but I get better then .005" with everthing else I load and with some cartridges (cases probably) I do better than .002". Can anyone offer thoughts on what I`m doing wrong?? This isn`t a bench rifle but I`d like to think I`m feeding it the best ammo I can make.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
<deleted>

Sorry I did not see that you are not experiencing problems in the sizing, it is in the seating stage. I gave a whole stack of advice about sizing, which is irrelevant.

Pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try sising a fired case without the expander button. If after resizing suspect die neck is not centered or expander ball is off center.

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wally, it's not the sizing he is having a problem with - FL sized cases run out at 0.001" which is very good going, IMO.

The only other advice I can give is to ensure cases are squarely trimmed and chamfered. And also check if the point of the bullet is not making contact in the recess of the seating stem before the ogive.

pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Stutter

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Is this perhaps what gave birth to the expression" Short necks SUCK"? roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote