Find
Notify
Tools

Brass metallurgy (?) question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of befus
posted
Recently got four boxes containing 77 fired cases. Three of the boxes were somewhat worn and had reloading labels attached, the near new one did not. As I cleaned the brass I noticed that around 16-17 of the m were much darker, almost a pewter look compared to the others. Since I knew it was possible (probable) that some of the cases had been fired at least twice and maybe more, I wondered if the color of brass is affected by the heat and pressure of firing and that the darker ones were those from the near new box originally and had just been fired once? Or if that might be the case, but different batches of cases might just vary a lot in color.

No big deal to me one way or another I just wondered why the difference in appearance. All the brass is same make and of the type listed on the boxes.

befus

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
corroded ?

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
corroded ?

Not t all, just a different color which was really noticeable
only after not polishing as well as the others in my tumbler.

befus

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brass was exposed to chemicals in the powder or some other chemical in the environment that the untarnished brass wasn't.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Contact with ammonia or vinegar will make brass dark over time. Also may make brass weak. stress corrosion cracking or dezincification happen.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Corrosive primers?
Nasty things going on in them!

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tarnish? There's a difference between tarnish (very, very, early stages of corrosion) and corrosion. Try some steel wool on a couple to see if the coloring comes off. Pics?

My Anchor holds...

Posts: 20 | Location: Southern Oregon Coast | Registered: 03 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post

does it look like this?
I have brass look like this after it was polished and shiny brass .set in a plastic bag for a while after handling with my hands

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I polish cases that show marks like these with Nevr Dull and a Lee Case Trimmer Shell holder in a electric drill. I only takes 5-8seconds of spinning and they are looking as new.