New
Find
Notify
Tools

WW .270 Brass quality
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was loading some this afternoon and found some cases entered the shell holder easy and some were tight. 3 of them I tapped in with a plastic hammer. This is the second order of brass that I have found this way recently.

Wondering about any others have any indication the quality has dropped.

Also, funny thing, the new unfired brass has more internal capacity than fired brass that I was also loading. Should have weighed some, but I didn't. Maybe a job for tomorrow.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AH,
About a year ago I bought some Winchester .270 WSM brass. About 2/3 of the bag wouldn't chamber in the rifle. bewildered

When I pulled out a caliper and started measuring the lengh, I quickly noticed that it varied as much as .20" in length. Once I trimmed it, it all chambered fine, but that was the first time I've ever seen that kind of variance in Winchester brass.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When things are made the are min and max sizes some time stuff slips through

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AfricanHunter:
I was loading some this afternoon and found some cases entered the shell holder easy and some were tight. 3 of them I tapped in with a plastic hammer.

Quite a few European brass brands - normally considered "high quality" - suffer from this from time to time. RWS and (occasionally) Lapua spring to mind.

If you would like to continue using the brass, try a shell holder for the 6.5x55, normally the slightly larger shell holder fixes the issue.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I haven't kept good enough notes to know if this is true, or not....but it seems to me that since since manufacturers started selling bagged bulk brass 50 rounds at a time, it has all gone downhill. When it used to just come in 20 round (and way before that 25 round) cardboard boxes, I "sense" it was higher dimensional quality and more consistent.

But that may just be my reaction to sloppy, cheapo, packaging...

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
I have purchased some Win .270, '06 and 7x57 brass recently and have found the quality to be wanting.. The last .270 bag, all the primer pockets were unacceptably loose.. The primers required no effort at all to seat.. Like I was seating primers in cases that have been fired 5 times with hot loads.

I've been buying Win brass for a long time and in years past the quality has been great.. Don't know what’s going on now..

In contrast.. I've tried some Privi Partisan brass and found them to be what Win brass was years ago.. Quite good.

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had 4 bags of Win brass for my 300 wsm. That stuff is junk. I don't know how they could get the primer pocket flash hole off center on some of them, but they did. I don't know how many I discarded, but a lot more than I thought was common.

I have used Norma brass and there were very few cases that were not as perfect as one could expect. I would not use Win brass again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just started buying Nosler brass when they have it in the calibers I need.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote