New
Find
Notify
Tools

338-06 bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picked up some bullets for my 338-06 I really didn't need at this weekend's gun show at a price I could not pass up. They are Hornady (#3330) 250 gr Round nose, Speer Grand Slam (#2407) 225 gr. Speer Ht Cor (#2405) 200 gr, and Nosler Partition (#16337) 210 gr. I have only used Hornady's 200 gr Spire Point to date in my gun and would appreciate and members experience with loads or comments with the above mentioned bullets.
Thanks, The Chief.

Posts: 115 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Am interested too.

I have a stock of 210 NPTs and 225 Hornady Interlocks that I thought I'd try in this chambering.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Do a search and you will find many different loads for all these. The 210 Pt will work great with H4350 58-62gr depending on your rifle. Always start low and work up.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
4320 made me very happy accuracy and velocity 200-225

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I've used all the above in my 338/06...

I tend to just use the Hornadys as you really don't need a premium in the 338/06... but they never hurt, as the game gets larger...

I'd tend to grab the 250 grain RNs first, but then I am a RN fan, regardless of bore diameter...

one tip I can pass on that is missed by many from the Sierra Reload manual and other manuals in the different bullet weights...

If you use a lot of different bullet weights in the 338/06... a charge of 50 grains of IMR 4064 will give you an MV of 2500 fps with bullet weights from 200 to 250 grains...

So you can swap around to bullets as they fit your needs, but at 100 yds, your point of impact won't change if at all....

Even a 250 grain RN, even tho it is a round nose and less aerodynamic.. still flies pretty flat.. based on its weight alone...

So I load a lot of my loads with that charge...
and on my rifle.. my higher velocity load with the 200 grainers ( 57.5 grains of IMR 4895) is running 2950 fps out of my Model 70 ( and yeah, that is over the 'book' max of 56.5 grains but not by much).. still the point of impact is pretty much right on top of the point of impact of the 50 grains of IMR 4064 loads...

cheers
seafire
beer

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I shoot alot of the Speer 200gr & Nosler 210grP. Several powders have worked well fo rme, RL15, IMR4064, VV150, but my best loads are coming w/ H4350. Great cartridge! thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Latest issue of Handloader has a good article on the medium mediums, with positive commentary and some good loading info for you 338-06. All the heavier bullets you picked up will perform pretty well on about any big game. Should be fun to figure out what your rifle likes.

Posts: 44 | Location: Finger Lakes NY | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied. I will try your suggestions and see what happens.
My current load with the 200 gr Hornadys is 53 grs of IMR 4320 in Norma brass with CCI 200 primers. This load shoots about 1" groups at 100 yds with a approx speed of 2650 fps. Very acceptable for the deer hunting i do in Cameron Co PA.
These bargin bullets will allow me to experiment with other loads I would not have otherwise tried. Going to try Seafire's load of 50 grains of IMR 4064 with the differnt weight bullets and see what happens with my point of impact .
Thanks again, Chief.

Posts: 115 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote