New
Find
Notify
Tools

200gr bullets in the 375 H&H
 Login/Join

<'Trapper'>
posted
I just found a box of bullets on the shelf, 200 gr flatnose for the 375 Winchester. As I don't have a 375 WindChanger but do just happen to havea 375 H&H or three I was wondering if anyone has ever loaded the 200gr bullets in the 375 H&H. I wouyld think they were designed for about 2000-2100 FPS sowould need a safe load using downloaded velocity to work in the 375 H&H But if a good combo at about 2400FPS this should be a good plinking and white tail load. Anyone tried this out?
"Shoot straight, shoot safe and shoot a lot!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike 375 on this forum uses 220 gr hornady flat noses at 2200 fps if my memory serves me correctly and They work well for him, why not look him up and e-mail him. He will be more than happy to tell you what he knows.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
Trapper the book calls out for 41gr of SR-4759 will give you 2250fps or 83.3gr of IMR4350 will give you 2900fps.I have used this bullet in my 375 JRS at 2800fps and on deer you need to keep it around 2300fps or it will blow up when it hits the deer

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I use 200gr Sierra bullets for light recoil practice sometimes. However, the particular load I use is not really a reduced load -- it has fierce muzzle blast and flash.

Still, I�ll pass it along for what it is worth. You can always use this load with its large fireball to impress the rubes at the range who think a .375 H&H is a huge rifle!

I use WW cases, Sierra SP 200gr bullets, CCI 250 primers, 80.0 gr of VV N160 for 792 m/sec or 2599 fps (out of my Brno�s 25 inch barrel, haven�t chronographed it out of my SAKO�s shorter tube yet).

Don�t use this on game (these bullets are intended for the much slower velocities of the anaemic .375 Winchester). At these higher velocities, this is a varmint bullet (impressive gore and destruction). I think I've tested up to 84gr, but of that I am not certain -- my regular load is above.

This isn�t close to a max load, but I was advised (by Vihtavuori or Sierra, I forget now) to NOT reduce this -- N160 is a slow powder and there is a detonation risk with greatly reduced loads.

Yes, it is an odd load (light bullet, slow powder!), but at one time I had the 200gr bullets and a lot of VV N160 and wanted to use it! The load was so accurate, I've loaded it many times.

This is easily a minute of angle load in both my .375's.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote