Notify
Tools

plastic coated bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
been reading abit about these -anybody have any experience with them
http://www.egglestonmunitions.com/

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they cost more and aren't any more accurate.
Some supposedly produce less smoke than regular cast.
You can do it yourself if you cast your own (or really want to try and buy as-cast and unlubed commercial bullets).
I really like Precision Bullets' swaged and coated bullets, but they still cost a bit more than cast lead.

Posts: 130 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks pd - i think i gotta try some

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the powder coated bullets would be much better and you can do that yourself.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Here are plastic coated bullets made in Slovakia. The main advantage is it doesn't need any lubricating (the coating contains some high temp lubricants), doesn't need any gas checks for higher velocities and no leading of course. And price difference to "standard cast bullet" is from my point of view negligible.

http://www.ares-gunshop.sk/STR...RES-_-Bullets-/c-4/s

Accuracy is great in .460 Rowland. They are cast out of approx. 92% lead, 6% antimony, 2% tin alloy.

Will shoot it in .500 S&W also. If you order 2000 bullets or more, you can choose any color. If you order less, you will get what they have on stock.

Jiri

BTW here is foto of fired one:

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember the Smith & Wesson Nyclad pistol rounds. They were blue. A thick coating.

The rumour mill had it that they were withdrawn as they "healed" (enough) after firing such that could not be forensically "matched" against the weapon that fired them.

The ones I am seeing here in Britain, now, are orange 9mm/.38 and looks just like some sort of plastic paint not a thick coating like the Nyclad were.

Accuracy is no worse nor better than conventionally lubed bullets of the same profile. But, my oh my, they look odd...orange!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The S&W Nyclad was sold to Federal, and was sold hit and miss until the mass hording of the past few years.

Posts: 91 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Ahlman's has a bunch of these for sale at basically cast prices... Acme bullets.

They work pretty well and cut down on the leading a bunch. Used them in IDPA for a year. Reliable enough and clean enough I didn't clean the gun for a couple months...

Posts: 11028 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote