New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lapua Scenar HPBT bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got some of these to load for my 338 Lapua, and they look great! I was wondering if anyone had experiece with these (in any caliber).
Also, a related question- Why do most bullet makers say the HPBT bullets are not recommended for hunting? Do they rapidly expand like varmint bullets, or do they lack expansion like a FMJ solid bullet? I have never tried them on game, because I wasn't sure how they would do.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot these in .308 in 165 and 180 (or thereabouts) grain weights. They are good.

You ask:
"Also, a related question- Why do most bullet makers say the HPBT bullets are not recommended for hunting?"

You have the answer - they don't expand on/after impact but are more likely to punch straight through without creating a fatal amount of shock.

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Martindog>
posted
KC,

Regarding hunting applications for match bullets, check out the 1338 long Sierra thread on this page. Now to get the full story, you'll need to read them all, but I'm sure you'll walk away feelling better.

Martindog

one of us
posted Hide Post
OOOPS!! My second question was already answered in the Sierra HPBT thread. I didn't read through it until tonight (very lengthy).

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Dave King>
posted
Ken Cline

I just posted a link to some sectioned bullets in the MatchKing thread, page34. Included in these sectioned bullets is an example of a Lapua 155 Scenar.

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I shoot the .338-250 gr Scenars in my .338 Ultramag. They were the first bullet to ever beat the .5 inch mark in mine. The speer 250 gr HPBT actually does about the same.Have fun!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote