Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 9mm & .44 Mag light loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
Bluedot worked well for me. I loaded a .38 super and used 12.8 grains of bluedot with bullets weighing from 200-240 grains in my .44 mag. Shot real well in both calibers. Alliant has loads online.

http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/rg.taf?_function=pistolrevolver&step=1

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Unique in my .44 Mag for light practice loads ever since I got it. I just purchased a Sigma 9mm and a Lee Turret press to reload for it. I've loaded a couple hundred rounds with the Unique but have been told it's not really optimal for 9mm. I have the newer lot so it doesn't seem dirty to me but I'm anal with my guns and always clean after a shooting session. Question is: Is there a better powder to get optimal performance from the 9mm and still be able to load light .44 loads? I'd rather not buy another powder right now and will probably just stick with the Unique until it's gone. After that I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
NoCal

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really liked Hodgdon's Universal Clays powder for light loads in .44 magnum with cast 240 gr SWC bullets, and for factory duplicate loads with 115 gr JHP in the 9mm. It's much cleaner burning than Unique, although Unique might give a little better performance on higher end loads.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong w/ Unique. It's a bit old school but it works well, especially w/ cast bullet loads.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NoCAL: Try AA#5. Similar burning rate to Unique but since it is a ball type powder it meters much smoother and burns cleaner. I would not advise loading cast bullets for the 9mm Luger cartridge, especially for someone new to the round.

posted Hide Post
Try Power Pistol, check the Webb site and look @ the 115 jacketed load. This is the same vel as the +P loads. Have used this for about 4 years and am VERY happy with it. NO Contest that this is CLEAN and meters very well. I use the Lee Auto-Disk can't measure differance on any scale. Clean burning as in NO UNBURNT Powder. 3 diferent brands of 9mm Pistols, no problems.
Shoot safe
Keep Shootin'
wrench Nor-Cal

Posts: 17 | Location: N.Calif | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote