New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who will make a custom die nowdays?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a couple rifles where the chambers are obviously just a skoche bigger than the dies I have for those calibers, the die just works the brass to much in the body area, specifically near the head of the case. I would love to send a few fired cases and have a custom sizing die made, but can't figure out who will do it, RCBS and Forster said no in an e-mail reply......

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, Hornady offers this service. I have a couple of their dies made thus, and I supplied fired cases and requests for sized dimensions such as neck, body just below shoulder and body just ahead of web. I use these dies to size without expanders. They work a charm, and because I chose my die dimensions to ensure minimal sizing, the sizing operation is very smooth. thumb

Let me look in my reference data, and I'll come up with a name for the person I work with. I believe the price is about $120 for a FL and a seater die (which I normally pitch, assuming I can get a Forster or a Redding Comp seater for the caliber in question).

- mike

Addendum:

Ben Syring III
Reloading Die Designer
3625 W. Old Potash Hwy.
Grand Island, NE 68803

bsyring@hornady.com

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I have had RCBS rework dies for me in the past. These were their dies that for whatever reason overworked the brass in my rifle. I sent them back with 5 fired cases and they fixed them. So if you don't find anyone who will make a custom die, you may want to buy a new RCBS sizer in your caliber and see if it fixes the problem. If it doesn't, you could then send it in with your brass and they would probably fix it. Other than that, you may want to contact Huntington's in Oroville, Ca. They are located next door to RCBS and IIRC they offered custom dies.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P.S. Since I prefer to size without an expander (and specify sized neck diameter accordingly), I ask Hornady to provide the option to size both with and without the expander.

In the past, Hornady have then provided a decap assembly with a sub-caliber thread protector (protecting the thread onto which the expander normally is installed), as well as an expander which can be installed should you need one (e.g. to iron out a dented neck).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I need is a die that will bump the shoulders back on loaded rounds. I have a freight train full of loaded 223Rem, and a supertanker or two of primed and unprimed cases that need to have the shoulder pushed down by .006 to .012 inches. It was recommended that I buy a comparator to check why my scrupulously-clean AR would not chamber my reloads. Sure enough, the shoulder on every one of them is in the wrong place. So now I am running primed cases through my die and wiping off the lube from every one, one at a time. What I need is a die that has had the bore that sizes the mouth reamed out to .254 or so such that it will move the shoulder down without crushing the bullet or messing up the shoulder. What are my options?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Homebrewer - Redding body die will do the trick.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about the Lee collet dies fish? Lee will make custom collet dies. At least, they used to do it. Alot of folks bash Lee, but their collet dies are great IME.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Homebrewer - Redding body die will do the trick.

Thanks. I'll check it out...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Hornady can't accommodate your request, custom die makers like Neil Jones are in this business.

If you have a very small machinist's inside caliper and a micrometer, there may be a more economical approach. Obtain several sizing dies in each caliber in a brand known for high variation in production tolerances (Lee comes to mind) from a vendor that allows returns for credit (Midway comes to mind). Compare the inside diameter of the die body at the shoulder and choose the one that is closest to the measurement of fired brass, allowing for springback and clearance. Return the excess dies to the vendor for credit.
yuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CH-4D die Co.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys thanks, MHO, I will check into Hornady, I actually have several of their dies and like them. I would love to get a Redding or Forster Comp seater, but they don't offer one for the Caliber, it is a 7mm Dakota...I'll follow up with Hornady, if you have contact info I'd appreciate it.

Thanks--Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone with a lathe (gunsmith) should be able to polish a few thousandths out of the base of a FL sizer.
Even I could do it.
In fact I am in the process of acquiring dies to modify for the 6.5X53R. The required modification is polishing the dies out in the lower 1/2 of the die (base area).

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
if you have contact info I'd appreciate it.

quote:
Ben Syring III
Reloading Die Designer
3625 W. Old Potash Hwy.
Grand Island, NE 68803

bsyring@hornady.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a google search on "jlc precision". He makes custom dies for the benchresters...and I think he's pretty reasonable. From what I understand he takes your fired brass and custom hones a redding body die to just size the brass enough. Then mates the thing to a bushing sizer on top. I think the cost is about $80-100 and the guys at 6mmbr use him alot.

Also for the poster who wants to resize loaded ammo.....I do it all the time with redding body dies. I jockey a few guns here and there and have to adjust the ammo's headspace down from time to time.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
jlc precision

Contact Allan he makes the best die I have seen bar none
http://www.warner-tool.com/reloading.htm

Posts: 38 | Location: Ottawa canada | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neil Jones.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks MHO and Kraky--and others! I will follow up with these leads!