Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Hand press & FL resizing.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of wwjmbd
posted
Thinking of buying a lee hand press for use at the range. I have no experiance with them, only my rockchucker press and lee loaders.

My question is are they suitable for FL resizing up to and including 30-06 brass?

Posts: 159 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've FL sized a fair bit of .30-06 on my Lee "Handloader" with no real problem. But I don't want to do much reloading of ANYTHING with a hand press! Too much trouble to seat on a fully charged case for my taste, I needed three hands to do that but I'm short by one!

SO, my "range press" is a little Lee "Reloader" press (same price) mounted on a 10" section of 2x4. I use a couple of iron C clamps to secure it to the shooting bench, it's MUCH easier to use.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a public range that allows you to hand load while there. Do these ranges allow you to load at the bench or do they have a dedicate area?

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wwjmbd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Jim,

Scott, the range I belong to has a very small membership and in the 6 years Ive been there I have rarely ever seen someone else there at the same time. I am only there through the weekdays and the others on the weekends, I cant see any problem with reloading a few round there but probably wouldn't do it a larger range especially with people smoking in the clubhouse Big Grin.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use it to load for-
7x57
.280 Rem
With the hand press I have no trouble resizing Mil spec 30-06 brass (traded for some 7x57 brass) to .280.I get better accuracy with loads below the max loads in my manuals so I've not had any problems with seating as Jim mentioned.I really like it.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one when they were on sale to seat bullets at range. Only time its windy at the range is when I try to use my powder scale. "Murphy's Law"

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you pre weigh and package your powder in vials at the house it will work just fine. I always work up loads this way at the range, I refuse to pull bullets. I have resized 300 Ultra Mag and 375 H&H brass and it works slick (100 new ones in an hour). I like to work while watching the boob tube and I just go from the table on the left to the table on the right.

With heavy use I do not think it will last forever, but at less than $25 who cares.

arniet

One of Us
Picture of wwjmbd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replys, I think ill be picking one up the next chance I get. I guess its not a major invesment if I dont like it.