New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee 45 die question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not my first choice but these dies did get good reviews from Midway. Anyhow..there are two seating dies and I'm using the Bullet Seating die, vs the Crimp and post size die, and the adjusting screw seems to wobble a bit. Is this normal?

Also, notice some of the rounds are not as concentric as I would like them. Should I flare the cases a bit more?

Posts: 69 | Location: vacaville,ca | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several sets of Lee rifle dies. They all have the wobble. The seater screw has no nut so you can feel the clearance in the threads. Most threads have clearance but you do not feel it when tightened with a nut.
Since the flanks of the threads are at half of 60°
they tend to self center under a load.

Check your seater screw for wobble when the press ram is in the full up position while seating a bullet.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ww2 surplus italian ammo was very inaccurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the adjusting screw seems to wobble a bit. Is this normal?

It is both normal and irrelivant.

The "critical" thing is that it will NOT unscrew itself while working, and that's all that matters.

Lee's dies are not as pretty as others but that's all external. On average, Lee's dies work fully as well as any conventional dies on the market. Sure, always some exceptions either direction to any such rule but my controlling point is "average".

On average, there is as much difference between dies of a given brand as there is between brands. Anyone wishing to "prove" otherwise needs to bring a stack of actual measurements of loaded ammo from more than one set of any dies they may wish to tout.

I've done that lengthy test and found there are no AVERAGE quality advantages to any brand of dies, other than slightly so for Foster and Redding's expensive BR/Comp dies and Lee's Collet neck sizer dies. All the rest are tied for a close second place.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote