New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 RUM Handload questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a friend that knows nothing about reloading so he wants me to work up a load for him. Seeing how I haven't worked with the 300RUM I was wondering if anyone would have a suggestion on powders. Hes wanting to shoot the 165g TSX in it, I have quite a bit of experience with the 300Wby Mag but I always shot 200+g bullets in it with H870 and I thinking that type of powder will be too slow for a 165g bullet. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
165's:
H-870 From 100.2 grains to 111.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2M Primer

200's:
H-870 From 87.5 grains to 110.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2M Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
use rutumba in it,my friends rum loves the rutumba and is very accurate with it

posted Hide Post
Hi all, new here but not to reloading...except for a 300 RUM. Just purchased one in a CDL and am in the process of gathering reloading components and such. After I get the barrel properly broke in with some factory ammo, I'll be ready to handload for it.

I plan to try H1000 and Retumbo first. I'm a big fan of Hodgdon Powders.

I have three questions:

1. Is it nessecary, imperitive or otherwise a good idea to use magnum primers? The reason I ask is I have no problem igniting H1000 with pleasant accuracy results in 30-06 based cases using standard Federal primers. I've never used Retumbo.

2. Where are the new brass suppliers? I will have a few different lots of once fired cases from the break-in but would just as soon have a same lot of new brass. So far Remington is the only one I have found offering new brass in small quantities. One place on the web offers new, sized and primed brass but it looks like a 150 count is minimum for 250 bucks.

3. Is the 300 rum as "senitive" as smaller cartridges to such things as neck sizing, uniformed flash holes, variences in brass lots, ect.? Or is it a little more forgiving on these matters?

I don't mean to hijack this thread...just adding a dimention to it.

Thanks, Roy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal made a limited run of 300 RUM brass you might do a Google search to find if there is still any available.
Can't say how sensitive it is to flashole uniforming and case prep since I do that to all my brass.
Someone might prove me wrong but I wouldn't even try to ignite that much powder without a magnum primer. Especially since it's a hunting round that might be used in cold weather. I use Federal GM 215M's.
I've loaded for a few of them and by far my favorite bullet in the 300 RUM is the 200gr Accubond with Retumbo powder..............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
r-25 works very well in my rifles with 165gr or 180gr bullets.The tsx performs extremely well providing good expansion and great penetration.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I just grab some RETUMBO for my Rum's. I only shoot 200+ grain bullets. But have some 165 TSX's that I may try too.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
use the magnum primers, theres too much powder to risk bad ignition especially on cold days and you will kick your self if its a bad ignite on a animal

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nwwash:
use the magnum primers, theres too much powder to risk bad ignition especially on cold days and you will kick your self if its a bad ignite on a animal

Agreed. Burning 90+ grains of powder needs a magnum primer.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was wondering if anyone would have a suggestion on powders

I would give 4831 SC a try. Retumbo, RL 22 & 25 are good too.

quote:
Is it nessecary, imperitive or otherwise a good idea to use magnum primers?

All three...magnum primers are the way to go...too much bowder too burn.

quote:
Where are the new brass suppliers?

Remington is the only one that I know of so far but with the popularity of the 300 RUM and derivatives of it I would think that some of the other manufacturers would be looking into it soon.

quote:
Is the 300 rum as "senitive" as smaller cartridges to such things as neck sizing, uniformed flash holes, variences in brass lots, ect.? Or is it a little more forgiving on these matters?

The RUM is just like any other cartridge...no reason that it would defy conventional wisdom.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
My most accurate load with 180's is with H-1000. My most accurate load with 200's is Retumbo. You can't go wrong with either.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch guys for some great info, very useful, I'll give him a range of powders to pick up and get started with load development. Appriciate the help!

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 300RUM should be here in the next month.Got my hand dies in along with the Remington cases,and a variety of bullets on stand by.One powder that I will be trying is the Vithavouri powder.This powder was the winner in my 300Win Mag load devlopment for Barnes TSX's.Ineresting to see which powder will win inmy test results for this caliber.I am again prepared to try them all.I am sticking to TSX's as the Swift A Frame doesn't seem to be accurate at distances beyond 200yds.I just noticed above that most accurate loads are stated with one powder for all bullets,that is nonsense.If you want an intillegent oppinion then consider mine.Too many fools and phonies swarmed everywhere.Got to take out my swatter to stop this crap.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want an intillegent oppinion then consider mine.Too many fools and phonies swarmed everywhere.Got to take out my swatter to stop this crap.

If you would like to be considered "intelligent" and would like other's to consider your "opinion" you should probably learn how to spell first.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am proud to have done poorly in school.Most teachers could never win my attention.Or,I had a super mind that would reject what was unimportant.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
animal animal animal animal animal