New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range test of loads for 7.7 Jap sniper rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Razzer Just returned from the out door range where I shot 30 rounds in my 7.7 Jap sniper rifle. I loaded using 42 and 44 grains of IMR 4064. I used Federal 210, Winchester WLP, CCI-200, CCI-250 primers and Norma cases in 5 shot groups and then 10 reformed cases from Remington 30/06 each with CCI-200 and CCI-250 primers. I patterened groups at 25 yards and then shot a group at 100 yards.
All groups were under 3/4 inch, with the 42 grain load, Norma case and CCI-250 primer shooting under 1/2 inch.
At 100 yards the same load shot 1/2 inch also.
Not bad for an old war horse. Shot off sand bags with 10 MPH cross wind, 3x9 Simmons scope. the bearrel has been ported and floated and the stock cut down. Two men shooting new Savage short SS bull barreled Savages, one .308 and the other 22/250 were shooting 1/2 also. it was a good showing for an old rifle.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red FaceForgot to include that I used the Sierra 180 grain hunter-pro bullet! Red Face

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blob1,
I shoot military competition and so have a mate that just loves to play with the old rifles. It's a constant source of amazement to see what the old girls can do given modern reloading components and a benchrest. Makes you wonder just how much we've progressed with our "custom barrels" and the like, particularly on a hunting rifle. Last time we were at the range he brought out a "tomato stake" ie a Carcano carbine. Using fresh ammunition that little rifle shot MOA over open sights and benchrested. His latest project is a 6.5Jap and its going well too!
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WinkHey man you are right about that. I love this old rifle because it is fun to shoot and is getting real accurate. I am not say it is as good as some 1000.00 rifleS but it seems to me that while we have came along way in bullets, powders and things only to have the old rejects rise up and kick butt. People laugh as you enter the range and cry when you leave because you are doing what they are doing without $2000.00 worth of equiptment to lug around. Fun in your shooting of the rejects! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blob1,
Too true. Whilst I think we've made advances in varmint rifles, the regular hunting rifles are only as accurate as they seemed to be 50+ years ago. Remove the fullwood from many military rifles and do some bedding work and all of a sudden your right there with the current factory produced guns. Mate has a .303 SMLE that's been sportorised, and fitted with a cheap scope. Total cost just under $200 and it shoots 1.5MOA all day.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
Blob1,
Too true. Whilst I think we've made advances in varmint rifles, the regular hunting rifles are only as accurate as they seemed to be 50+ years ago. Remove the fullwood from many military rifles and do some bedding work and all of a sudden your right there with the current factory produced guns. Mate has a .303 SMLE that's been sportorised, and fitted with a cheap scope. Total cost just under $200 and it shoots 1.5MOA all day. Cheers...
Con

I have an Argentine M 1909 Mauser in 7.65X53 and a Venezuelan M 1924 FN Mauser in 7X57mm, both in unaltered military condition except for the addition of scope sights. Both these rifles will shoot under 1" @ 100 yards with handloads, and a friend had a No. 5 .303 Jungle Carbine that would do so too, using .308", 200-grain Nosler Partition bullets at 2100 FPS. The only problem with the No. 5 was that cases didn't last very long.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerHey sounds great to hear about all the oldsters being shot! I have some fine tuning to do to catch up with some of you!
Shoot the old ones forever! Wink