New
Find
Notify
Tools

ammo on the airplane
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can I put a couple boxes of loaded ammo in my checked baggage?
Grandson needs ammo for his 454 Casull and would like his little brother to bring it to him.
Thanks

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew this summer with ammo, without a firearm. eight or ten boxes, in a suitcase locked with TSA locks. the boxes had been opened, as the tape seals were cut, but otherwise no problem. I am over 18 though. is your grandson?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, you're allowed 1kg (2.2#). It has to be in the original boxes or in the "flambeau" style boxes.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're probably right about the weight limit. I'd hate to head for Africa or a Wy Pdog shoot with just 2# of ammo.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the specific wording of the rules for each airline....5kg for most, but Alaska Airlines actually allows 50 pounds!

It needs to be packaged in factory boxes OR boxes designed for transport of ammo....so even though many clerks won't know it, your plastic slip-top ammo boxes are ok as well. I find printing out the page from the airline's own site to show them can help. If you are travelling to/from somewhere that does this like I usually am, it isn't an issue at all.

I like to bundle all ammo boxes together in a gallon Ziploc bag to make it easy for them to find and see...

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote