New
Find
Notify
Tools

AA2230C
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anyone use this power in there ar 15s ive got some and a whole lot of speer 50 gr tnts was wondering if they will work in my ar any sugestions for a load??

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishing26 grain of 2230-C. Probably can go higher but never had to. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2230 is one of the best general purpose powders out there for the .223rem. Use it with gusto!

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
is 2230C different from plain ole AA2230?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
is 2230C different from plain ole AA2230?

fishingI've found it to be a little slower burning if max powder charge is any indication. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
What does the C (AA2230C) stand for?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2230C is a canister grade powder that Accurate Arms sold several years ago. It is supposed to be, as Roger says, slightly slower that regular 2230, but good for the same applications. It was quite inexpensive at the time. I wish I could find it now.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought some years ago and can't remember what the "C" stands for. It's either canister or commercial. They told me at the time that it was about 5 percent slower than the regular 2230. I also have some #9C.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The powder suppliers who used to sell it (such as Widener's, for one) also advertised it as 5% slower than regular AA 2230.

It may be a different lot of 2230 which was unsatisfactory for military use because of that 5% difference and was acquired by AA inexpensively then wholesaled. Or, it may even be an entirely different powder bought by AA somewhere in Europe as surplus and brought here to be sold.

(They used to do a lot of that. AA-2200 for example was exactly that.)

AA was not a manufacturer, they were a vendor, so they didn't do any "cannistering" themselves.

Yet another version AA sold was 2230-S.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
2230C is a canister grade powder that Accurate Arms sold several years ago. It is supposed to be, as Roger says, slightly slower that regular 2230, but good for the same applications. It was quite inexpensive at the time. I wish I could find it now.

Yeah wouldn't it have been great to have about $25K in spare cash and a crystal ball a few years ago??

and Stocked up big time on your favorite powders, primers and bullets?

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by larrys:
Yeah wouldn't it have been great to have about $25K in spare cash and a crystal ball a few years ago??

dancingMaybe not $25k but the rest of it is history. I have a great crystal ball, Intrinsic maturation optics inc. Floats my boat beerroger

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:

No crystal ball, but had the rest of it. And did stock up. Will never need to buy more.

Sometimes a guy gets lucky. Lack of availibility of guns, components, and darned near everything else during WWII was a great educator.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will the TNT's hold up in a fast twist?

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingUsed a bunch of it today in my just assembled 22 PPC ( mod. 200 Stevens ) Will post spectacular results in a bit. Eeker beerroger