New
Find
Notify
Tools

458Lott in a Rock Chucker Press?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK guys, I've not reloaded in many years. I have an old Rock Chucker press stored out in the garage that I would like to bring back to life. The reason is that I just got a 458Lott and I don't like spending upwards of $10 per round for premium ammo. Can the Rock Chucker handle a cartridge that long? Thanks for your input.

Never follow a bad move with a stupid move.

Posts: 217 | Location: Clute, TX USA | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load .470 NE with a Rock Chucker and it is longer than the Lott. Requires just a little finess but it works just fine.

I personally would not buy a new press for the Lott.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A rock chucker will easily handle the .458 Lott. Most single stage presses will for what is worth.

Posts: 43 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rx7dryver:
A rock chucker will easily handle the .458 Lott. Most single stage presses will for what is worth.

It can be done, but the window is very tight. You can not seat a bullet ont top easily. You have to sneak it into the die then down onto the case. I had sim. problems when loading 375h&h, 45-110 then 458Lott, so I retired my old RC & got an AmmoMaster. It was designed for 50BMG so it will handle the longest round I will ever shoot. BTW, the new RC has a larger window now, it would also be a good choice. If you are going to load a bunch of 458Lott, you may get frustrated using your old RC. nilly

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote