New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Error....Please Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I load some 06 cartridges yesterday and when I was done, I learned that I had mix a couple of them. I would like to pull the bullets and start over.Should I resize the neck again or can I just recharge them and reseat?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what the more experienced will say, but, I have just recharged and reseated a few before with no issues

Posts: 139 | Location: Fairmont, WV | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand what you did! If you mean you just mixed brands of brass, I don't see that big a problem unless you are right at a max charge and your brass is very different in capacity or you want to shoot paper for groups. You can use them for fouling shots or a sighting start. If they are for hunting, I doubt a deer will know what you did and sure won't check your brass before dying.
Pulling and reseating can change neck tension and give you the same difference as the mixed brass did anyway.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you mixed bullet weights with different powder charges, pull them and just re-seat.
You did not explain good enough.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was creating some loads to test. I mixed the cartridges by powder charge. I wanted to pull the bullets, dump the powder and recharge them again. I was wondering if I had to resize the necks again, or just reset.

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I would pull the bullets, dump the powder into the yard for fertilizer, fire the primers and resize them again. Since you're conducting load development, I would wish to eliminate unneccesary variables from the equation.

Here's a little tip I use to keep my loads properly identified; I use a fine point Sharpie indelible ink pen to write on the case right after I seat the bullet. There is generally room to write a coded letter of the powder and weight in grains onto the case. I do the same thing when I'm trying different seating depths with identical powder charges. It is easily removed from the fired case by tumbling or wiping with rubbing alcohol.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by love22hunt:
I was creating some loads to test. I mixed the cartridges by powder charge. I wanted to pull the bullets, dump the powder and recharge them again. I was wondering if I had to resize the necks again, or just reset.

Pull the bullets, dunp, remeasure, reseat & shoot Big Grin
Get out the black magic marker to keep em sepereated! dancing

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done the same thing and came up with a simple system to separate each set of test loads. I use a sharpie magic marker and mark each series. My system: lowest charge or longest overall length is no mark, next increment is 1 green line across the case head, next increment is a green X, next increment is a black line, then black X, then red line, then red X, etc. With three colors I can have unique markings for 7 different series, and by changing the marking such as coloring in the primer or using 3 lines, I can expand a bunch. You can also make colored bands on the bullet tips--the tapered part.

Of course, you have to remember to put the same markings on your reloading log or whatever you use to record the data.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:
I would pull the bullets, dump the powder into the yard for fertilizer, fire the primers and resize them again.
Mike

That's an interesting response. Why would you dump the powder in the yard rather than reuse it?

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just pull the bullets, pour the powder out. Then re-charge and seat bullets. Mark the cartridges with a Sharpie pen like the others mention. Unless you used different powders, why throw it out?
Load the number of cartridges you want at a given powder charge then seat the bullets and mark the cartridge. Then increase the powder charge for your next series of cartridges, seat the bullets and mark those. By doing it this way, you're not gonna get 'em mixed up.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slatts:
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:
I would pull the bullets, dump the powder into the yard for fertilizer, fire the primers and resize them again.
Mike

That's an interesting response. Why would you dump the powder in the yard rather than reuse it?

Based upon the information provided, I was not going to assume that it was all the same powder. If it is the same powder, there is no problem reusing it. I just would not wish to recommend reusing the powder if there is chance that there was more than one powder used.

Upon re-reading the orignal and his second post, I still could not be sure if we were talkiing about the same powder or not.

Gun powder sure does make the grass grow!!

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
"Sometimes" you can get by with simply weighing them and separating by weights, unless your brass and bullets are very inconsistent.

I would pull the bullets and recharge personally. Check your cases to make sure ALL the powder comes out. Sometimes it will bridge in the neck area.

Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would pull the decapping pin & at least resize the neck for uniformity sake. The Sharpie has saved me a couple times when I knocked over an open box of ammo at the range. CRYBABY

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Based upon the information provided, I was not going to assume that it was all the same powder. If it is the same powder, there is no problem reusing it.

Okay gotcha. Makes sense.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slatts:
quote:
Based upon the information provided, I was not going to assume that it was all the same powder. If it is the same powder, there is no problem reusing it.

Okay gotcha. Makes sense.

Thanks Slatts... your paying attention!! thumb

One of Us
Picture of fireball 2
posted Hide Post
hello folks, I color code the back of the case with different colored mark a lots.plus I make a chart for the codes. works for me. Mikes right , if they are for load work up, I would resize the necks. this way the tension would be equal. just my opinion. Dave

when in rome, punt

Posts: 66 | Location: northern calif. | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pull the decapping pin and re-size the neck for best accuracy.

Posts: 116 | Location: Eastport Maine | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for removing the decap pin and resizing the necks. You will have a more uniform neck tension with all your loads this way.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another vote for removing the decap pin and resizing the necks. You will have a more uniform neck tension with all your loads this way.

I second the motion. When working up loads, I make a list of the charges. Looks like this:
1. 50 gr. Powder X 150 gr. bullet
2. 51.0 gr. Powder X 150 gr. bullet
3. 53.0 gr. and so on until I reach whatever level I plan to stop at.

Then I load five cases with load #1 and mark the side of the case with the number 1 and I also place the number one on the base right over the primer. The Sharpee pen is excellent for this purpose.
Then I load up five cases with load #2 and mark accordingly. I do this for all the loads.
Then, at the range, I shoot, chronograph, and record the data next to the appropriate number on the list nest to the number of the load. Then, I have all the data which is now transferred to my loading book where the final data rests. I also cut out the groups and tape them in the loading book.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the pull the decapping pin and resize camp.
Also, when I am working up a series of charges to test, I load 3 or 5 rounds and put them and a small square of paper with the load data on it in a baggie. Each seperate loading goes in a seperate baggie. If I don't shoot the groups or all of the groups for several weeks, I don't have to hunt any cheat sheet as to what is what.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the decapping pin slightly size the neck back up (and uniform it) on extraction? If you remove it, wouldn't you create more neck tension than other loads with brass sized with the pin in? It seems like, for the sake of uniformity, you'd want to pull the bullets and repeat the entire operation to mirror how all the other brass is, and will be, treated. Of course, you'd want to shorten the decapping pin such that your new primers remain in the cases.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Another vote to resize the neck by removing decapping pin.

quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
Doesn't the decapping pin slightly size the neck back up (and uniform it) on extraction? If you remove it, wouldn't you create more neck tension than other loads with brass sized with the pin in? It seems like, for the sake of uniformity, you'd want to pull the bullets and repeat the entire operation to mirror how all the other brass is, and will be, treated. Of course, you'd want to shorten the decapping pin such that your new primers remain in the cases.

DR: I think others are suggesting removal of the pin, not the expander ball and stem. This would leave promer intact but size neck to original size.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 918 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. I just had the whole unit stuck in my head. It does make more sense your way... Big Grin

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlieHo:
Not sure what the more experienced will say, but, I have just recharged and reseated a few before with no issues

Me too. Never bothered to resize the necks, except on military ammo that had sealant on the bullet shanks.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote