Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7MM STW Loads
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone have data on 120 grain nosler ballistic tip? Someone suggested to start with 80 grains H-4831 SC and look for 3700 ? I can't see this load going that fast ! Maybe 3500 ? What kind of velocity should I expect?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the 120gr ballistic tip in one of my 7mmstw rifles.I used 83gr of imr7828 and the velocity was just under 3700fps with a 26" barrel.I would not start with 80gr of h-4831 as it would be a fairly hot load.I would start at a few grains less and work up.However,imr7828 will usually produce more velocity than h-4831 in the 7mmstw.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
stubblejumper, have you used this load on our bi Alberta whitetails? Do you think it is going to fast for this? I am loading 140gr Interbonds and Acubonds and I was thinking of the 120 tsx but thought that they may be to small. What do you think?

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used the 120gr ballistic tip on game.I use the 140gr ballistic tip at 3500fps and it works well.The 140gr tsx does a great job on moose and elk so I would think that the 120gr tsx would be great for deer.After all being one piece, it won't come apart.By the way,what part of the province are you from?I live in Fort Mcmurray but I hunt the central and west parts of the province.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Sherwood Park. I've guided for bears up in your area on the Firebag river off of the winter road.

Do those ballistic tips blow up on impact at those speeds? I would really be interested to see what a 120gr tsx would do. I don't know if it would be going to fast to expand or what the deal would be. I would think any other 120 gr bulett would not be good.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My loads for my STW are 120BT with 83 grs RL22 around 3670 and 140Accubond with 83 grs 7828 3400+. In my rifle the 120s group 1/2" higher than the 140s. So I can switch back and forth.

I've used the 120 on varmints and one small doe. Blow up (at least in my experience) would be an understatement. I would stick with the 140s for deer. At least under 200yds.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shot a doe at around 200 and had a huge entry hole with no exit...(broadside lungs) That I dont like ! I like the speed it has with the 120's but I want an exit..May try a different 120 or just go back to the searra 140 boat tail. I have had excellent results out of the 7mag before with searra 140s before I rechambered for the stw.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that a 120 barnes would hold together but I wonder how much damage it would do on the way through.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The tsx bullets expand much better than the original x bullets from the kills that I have witnessed.I would not worry about them not expanding at 7mmstw velocities.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I get 3550 with the 120bt 83gr of 7828 with 26 in barrel. Shot one deer at 200yds and a coyote at 125. Exit on both and I will continue to use them until they let me down. Accuracy is one ragged hole. I may try a faster powder sometime for more speed.

One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted Hide Post
as far as the 120tsx bullets go, you might want to rethink your position. i have taken several deer this year with this bullet and if you hit bone you are ok., but a pure lung shot you definetly have problems. i realize that basically all deer go for some distance w/ a lung shot but in one instance for me one went appx. 300yds.w/absolutly no blood the only reason that i found her was i was making large circles and accidently found her. the exit wound was satisfactory between fiftycent and silver dollar. another doe went about 85 yds. and same thing, no blood. i had my load @ 3200' and it really shot great but i guess that i have had too much success w/ b/t's, gonna slow it down and shoot them again.

bounty hunter

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am thinking the ballistic tip works better at slower velocity. Its our deer season here in Maryland and I shot another deer(my second with stw) with the 120's at 420 yards. I misjudged the yardage and shot low. The deer was standing straight on to me and the bullet entered low on the brisket and came out the back leg(breaking the femar). The hole was as big as a 12 ounce can on exit. I thought this was excellent considering the deer was a 100 pound doe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a little curious what advantage the 120 grain tsx has over the 140 tsx. I like the barnes bullets and shoot them in many of my rifles, although my stw has not done rel well with them yet. Just wondering here but how much flatter will the 120 grain shoot ?
I am going to try the 100 grain TSX in my long barreld 25,06. The little barnes is just great in my .257 Roberts carbine and at 3100 just droped a little mule deer buck. If I can get it to shoot accuratly in my 25,06 and get 34 to 3500, I will have a long range deer antilope slayer as good as my skill can take advantage of...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted Hide Post
the reason that i was shooting the 120's was i shoot a 7/08 and hunt in texas and every once in a while we get the opportunity to shoot 350-400yds(not too often)and i felt @ that velocity the 120 would be a little flatter and really it is all the bullet that we need for our smaller bodies as opposed to northern whitetails

bounty hunter

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well using my own load data and a 6" kill zone. Max pt blank for the 120BT is 368 yds and 355yds for the 140accubond. I can't tell the difference between 355 and 368. That is why I shoot the 140 for deer and 120 for varmint.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Their have been many deer killed with less than 120 grain bullet, but until I find one that will not blow up I am going to the sierra 140s gameking! How far do you guys set your bullet from your rifling? My action has been trued.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not shoot a deer with a 120 BT with my STW unless it was a loooong ways off. I've killed a few deer with the 140 BT, but all were over 100 yds. Still too fragile and too much meat damage for me, that's when I moved to the 120X. I have killed many deer with the 120 X bullet out of my STW and it worked just fine. I've only had one of them take a step and he only went about 50 yrds. The only down side of the 120 X is the meat damage. I'm no expert, but I would guess the high velocity was causing the bloodshot meat. Now I've moved to the 140 Accubond but have only killed one deer with them. They appear to be the ticket for me right now, they group better and foul less than the X's. I know a lot of people who shoot big 7's (ultramags, stw, lazzeroni) and they all shoot premium or bonded bullets like Barnes or Accubond.

To each his own, but I would stick to a better bullet in the STW. Too many other good choices out there to go with a Ballistic Tip in this hotrod. If you are sold on the 120's, get some TSX or Plain X, and go hunt and not worry about bullet failure.

Just my 2 cents.