New
Find
Notify
Tools

.32 win special plinking loads.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found some lubed .321 lead bullets lately and wanted to load some plinking loads.
I want the lightest quietest load that will shoot accurately. The lee manual has reduced .30-30 loads with rifle powders (circa 1500 fps).
I have some H110, and win296.
Can I use a 50% or less case density(rifle powder) without filler?
How about the pistol powders? I only have these faster powders(h110/w296) for my khornet.
Any advice appreciated.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For light quiet loads, I would suggest Unique. I use 8.0 - 10.0 grs with cast 170s. Another powder would be Trail Boss.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Filler or no?

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No filler.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cool,
I'm guessing h110 and w296 might be too fast.
I might get some unique.
I want to replicate pistol calibre performance for plinking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just looked at the burn rate and h110 and w296 are way slower that unique. I have a pound of w296 that my hornet did'nt like, I might experiment with that.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brass thief:
cool,
I'm guessing h110 and w296 might be too fast.
I might get some unique.
I want to replicate pistol calibre performance for plinking.

H110/W296 is a much slower powder then Unique.

I see a couple starting loads in the Lyman manual for 1600-1700 fps with 4064 or 4895 and 170 gr lead bullets in the 32spcl. You might call Hodgdon and see if they can offer some data too. They often can help with loads not listed in their manuals.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lee manual has a .30-30 load(same case and bullet weight as .32) with 16 gr varget for 1380 fps, but that's 50% case density.
I like the look of the h414 load at 930 fps for 26 grs.
I just happen to have h110,w296 and varget!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on Craigster. 1400-1700fps. Mild pops. I use the RCBS 170FP

Posts: 100 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep my old manuals for just this type thing.
Speer 9 for 32 win special has 170 gr speer flatnose .321 diameter with cci-200 and 16.0 grains SR-4759 deliveing 1529 fps. Load ranges from 16.0 to 18 gr.
This was a published load in 1974...
Thanks rc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
For light quiet loads, I would suggest Unique. I use 8.0 - 10.0 grs with cast 170s. Another powder would be Trail Boss.

I've loaded this for a 10 yr old in a 30/30.. it had no recoil whatsoever.. and the young man got his first deer with it at 50 yds.

Trail Boss is also a good powder.. only guideline is don't compress the load.. MV is designed to be from 800 to 1000 fps with Trail Boss in ANY rifle cartridge.

SR 4759 is also a great powder... 10 to 17 grains will work great..

No filler is required with any of the above loads and filler in fact will increase your pressure, the loads are not position sensitive..

If you want to piss off Hot Core, and watch him freak out.. you can try 10 to 12 grains of Blue Dot. He'll come on and tell you how you are going to kill yourself and your family and everyone sitting next to you at the range that day..

it won't happen, but it is entertaining to watch Hot Bore stand on his soap box and start having a melt down.

of course like all powders, make sure you don't do a double charge.. or you will have a problem... just like Hot Bore probably did, and that being the reason he stands on his soap box with a vengeance each time Blue Dot is mentioned.. he thinks the powder itself is a waiting time bomb just sitting on the shelf in its factory container..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reduced loads scare me. I have a 1910 Model 94 in .32WinSpcl. I used AA2200DP in it. Can't remember how much...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
Reduced loads scare me. I have a 1910 Model 94 in .32WinSpcl. I used AA2200DP in it. Can't remember how much...

HB:

there is a difference in Reduced loads and its meaning..

using faster powder can be used to still supply the right pressure range for the cartridge...but using less powder, will give reduced recoil...

on the other end there are real low pressure loads.

they aren't necessarily the same.

however low pressure loads can also be made using really slow powder, like using H 1000 in the 32 Win Special Case for example.

both are just as safe as regular loads, but one has to pay attention to what they are doing. and also know what they are doing.

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brass thief:
I found some lubed .321 lead bullets lately and wanted to load some plinking loads.
I want the lightest quietest load that will shoot accurately. The lee manual has reduced .30-30 loads with rifle powders (circa 1500 fps).
How about the pistol powders?

Look into Trail Boss powder. Here's an article I resort to often:
http://surplusrifle.com/articl...ilbosskiss/index.asp
Lyman Cast Bullet 3rd Edition shows 7.0 to 11.0 grains Red Dot for bullets ranging 137g to 184g.
Unique, Green Dot, PB, 700-x et al are all listed for cast loads in most c/f rifle calibers.

Posts: 174 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 03 June 2009Reply With Quote