New
Find
Notify
Tools

Second Best Brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I keep reading here and elsewhere about how great Lapua brass. So I plan to make it my "go-to" brass for calibers it's available in - like .22-250 and 9.3x62.

But some of my go-to calibers, like .270 Win and .338 Win Mag, aren't available from Lapua. What is the best quality brass for these two calibers?

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lapua does make excellent brass, and it is my preferred brand when it comes to match accuracy.

That said, other manufacturers also make excellent brass. For some applications, e.g. rifles used only for hunting, it may be questionable whether you can actually detect the use of premium brass. Most "lesser" brass can be worked to achieve the consistency you expect from premium brass - flash holes deburred, primer pockets uniformed, sort for case neck wall variation etc.

But if you are looking for premium brass, Norma is often a solid bet - although possibly not made to withstand quite the same pressure as Lapua. Nosler brass is supposedly good. Some people like RWS, although it can be hard to source.

If it was me, I'd probably get some Winchester brass and spend a bit of time sorting and uniforming the brass. Then see what results you get. Most likely, other factors (such as bullets) will decide what accuracy you obtain.

For the calibers where you do end up with Lapua, make sure you lay in a stash of cases. Lapua has an unfortunate history of discontinuing brass in various calibers - case in point, .270 Win or .222 Rem (recently re-introduced, though).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks mho,

From ’76 until ’94 I was heavily into the shooting sports. National Match Course High Power Rifle, IPSC pistol, skeet, Cowboy Action, and BPCR Silhouette. Since 1994 high pressure jobs, mostly overseas, have limited my shooting opportunities. In preparation for retirement in just a few years, I have bought a pair of Blaser R93’s with barrels in .22-250, .270, .30-06, .338 Win Mag, 9.3x62, and .375. The .22-250 will undoubtedly be my main range/practice caliber. For a post 60 year old life time supply of the over .270 Winchester hunting calibers, is 200 cases enough? How about 500 for the .22-250?

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I used to go Pdog shooting, I would routinely take 1000+ rounds of loaded 22-250 ammo.
I use a lot of Lapua brass but if you're loading for a factory (hunting) rifle(s), IMO it's not worth the extra expense.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote