New
Find
Notify
Tools

light or subsonic loads in 410ga
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Might seem strange but I am wondering whether there are components and data for loading a subsonic slug in a 410 ga shotgun? Whether to approach it like rifle loading finding the right size brass or lighter loads in whatever the normal 410 data is. Its not for me but a buddy intending to use the gun for humane dispatch and trapped game and trying to keep noise levels down( a little)

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded them in 12 and 20gr using red dot for powder.

I stared with very light charges and worked up to a useful load. Its been awhile but if I remember 8 grs and around a 1 and 1/4th oz of shot in 12 gage is quite and well kill well out to 20 yards ago around 800fps.

Don't know way one would want to use a shot gun on trapped animals 22 shorts or CB caps work well and are quite.

Don't own a 410 or I would do some testing for you.

But you can do the same. Start with a few gr's and work up until you get the level of power you want.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks p dog shooter I will let them know. It will still be loud but will reduce blast which is what he is after. As to trapped game we are talking walk in pen type traps and larger animals

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Has he considered any of the heavy bullet subsonic loads in 22LR?
I have never shot any so am unsure of noise level.
Maybe he is dealing with bigger animals than 22 will dispatch also since he is wanting to go .410.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It will still be loud

Not very the longer the barrel the better.

But that said it all depends on how much powder he uses.

I found if one stays under 10 grs the noise level is greatly reduce.

I have a 40 inch single shot 12ga a 8 gr load is hard to hear past 50 yards a 5gr load is very quite.

What size critters is he killing long barreled pistol caliber rifles can be very quite.

I have put extension tubes on 357 and 44 barrels and shoot cast bullets in the 800 to 900fps range and they are very quite.

A 315gr .430 hard cast WFN at 950fps well shoot side to side completely through a 250lb bear with ease.

Out of a 40 in total length barrel and extension it is very quite.

I use a 2.5gr load with a 158gr 357 hard cast semi wad cutter out of a 22 inch barrel for 850fps is very quite and well shoot them into one hole at 50 yards. Add a 14 inch extension to it and thud is what you hear when the bullet hits the target.

Soon as I cast some 200gr 357 hard cast bullets I think they well be very effective and quite.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It will still be loud

quote:
Has he considered any of the heavy bullet subsonic loads in 22LR?I have never shot any so am unsure of noise level.

They can be depending on the barrel length but they can be hard to stabilize.

By brother stuck one in a 27 inch barrel right at the end bullet was half in half out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the further information. Yes the animals are pigs and larger, also for interests sake sharks when fishing, probably a few other things with shot loads. Those loads mentioned in pistol cartridges are good for hunting, I use similar concepts in a 357 rossi.

I think the main idea of his 410 is light and expendable. Can be beaten up, used one handed in a pinch to get muzzle near heads and if you rust it up or lose it totally its only a few bucks to replace. Also the usual stuff for 410, aka small shotloads for vermin etc.