THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    How to determine bullet seating depth in a rifle

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to determine bullet seating depth in a rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys, I would like your opinion on what the best way, or easiest way that is accurate for determining rifle seating depth in bolt action rifles.

My way of doing it I am not certain is the best, but I run the brass through a die, then just start the bullet I am interested in loading, then I put it in the rifle, and close the bolt. I measure it with calipers, then I put it in the reloading bullet seating die, and screw it down until it barely touches the bullet. From there, I adjust the bullet seating die so it seats the bullet alittle more. This should give me something near 0.03 to 0.07 from the rifling or lands. etc. Then I measure that overall length, record it, put the cartridge in my rifle, see if I have ample clearance in my magazine, and if I do, then that is where I begin to evaluate a new load, and bullet from.

Is this method ok, or is there a better way to determine bullet seating depth for working up a new load/bullet?

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AggieDog:
Guys, I would like your opinion on what the best way, or easiest way that is accurate for determining rifle seating depth in bolt action rifles.

My way of doing it I am not certain is the best, but I run the brass through a die, then just start the bullet I am interested in loading, then I put it in the rifle, and close the bolt. I measure it with calipers, then I put it in the reloading bullet seating die, and screw it down until it barely touches the bullet. From there, I adjust the bullet seating die so it seats the bullet alittle more. This should give me something near 0.03 to 0.07 from the rifling or lands. etc. Then I measure that overall length, record it, put the cartridge in my rifle, see if I have ample clearance in my magazine, and if I do, then that is where I begin to evaluate a new load, and bullet from.

Is this method ok, or is there a better way to determine bullet seating depth for working up a new load/bullet?

FOr the most accurate /repeatable method get a comparator to measure to the bullets ogive..a set point on the front curve of the bullet as the points on bullets can vary in length and the real distance you are concerned about is the contact point of the bullet to rifling ...not the point......BUT to find that necessary distance the Stoney Point OAL gauge with a dummy cartridge case and the tool with the bullets you are going to use will easily and quickly find the touching distance and then the comparator will let you use a dial caliper to measure that distance and then use your seating die to seat a bullet in loaded ammo and the comparator will let you measure it without reguards to any point varaiance and let you adjust the seater to get consistant seating of the bullet.....the Stoney Point seating tool is very nice, their comparator is caliber specific...Sinclair Int. sells a multi caliber version and Davidson has a nice set thru Sinclair that has both a base and nose/bullet atachment for the calipers that helps align the loaded rounds for measurement.....all work ....some are cheaper and some are a little faster....the RCBS precision Mic works for measurement of fired and the seating depth but the touching depth dummy case part is nearly useless for a spring loaded ejector action due to the pressure of the ejector....Stoney Point is much better and more sensitive......HTH..good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you want to use the magazine, skip all the BS throat measuring crap. Measure the mag length and seat the bullet to give you .030 clearance to avoid jamming.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aggie - Follow Bigdaddy's advice. Ideally, never measure OAL but rather to the ogive. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner gave you the straight info. But then, you can spend all the money you want in solving a non-problem. Good luck.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
If oyu had simply used the search feature you would have gound OVER 300 answers to that question....

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote