Find
Notify
Tools

Ultrasonic case cleaning..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted
Anybody out there have some good suggestions on a good ultrasonic case cleaning solution?

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got my ultrasonic cleaner at
http://www.harborfreight.com/c...taf?Itemnumber=95563
I paid 72.00 on sale. They have one also that holds apint of liquid, its about 30$ but is too small for rifle cases.

start here and look on the web at other places for the same make and mode, you will note that hornady is selling the old model of this same cleaner on their site.

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think WhatThe is asking for, is what goes in the cleaner, not the cleaner itself; the case cleaning solution.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
US cleaner solution

The trick is to not leave your brass in the acid solution very long. But the beauty of the US is it works fast. So a 10 minute trip through the cleaner will get the carbon out of every nook and cranny, then a rinse in plain water.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is an interesting discussion concerning this on the Gun Cleaning Board right now.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anybody out there have some good suggestions on a good ultrasonic case cleaning solution?

White vinegar.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz:
US cleaner solution

The trick is to not leave your brass in the acid solution very long. But the beauty of the US is it works fast. So a 10 minute trip through the cleaner will get the carbon out of every nook and cranny, then a rinse in plain water.

Excellent article! Thanks a ton!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look on the cleaning furum--right under this one

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Kendall cleaner, which is the same as the Gembro and Hornady unit only with a White/gray case. $10 cheaper than the Gembro and $30 cheaper than the Hornady on Amazon.com. I tried the Birchwood Casey concentrate, the Iosso soulution and both left a whitish residue if left in too long, it cleans the heavy gunk off but leaves the cases discolored even after rinsing in fresh water. The best thing I have found is the Simple Green Concentrate, 1 oz of concentrate to 1 qt of water. Cleans well and leaves the cases with no residue or discoloration. A lot cheaper than the other cleaners as well.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rje:
I got my ultrasonic cleaner at
http://www.harborfreight.com/c...taf?Itemnumber=95563
I paid 72.00 on sale. They have one also that holds apint of liquid, its about 30$ but is too small for rifle cases.

start here and look on the web at other places for the same make and mode, you will note that hornady is selling the old model of this same cleaner on their site.

That's the very one I got. We have a HF warehouse here in town and they had them on sale for 49 bucks. I paid an extra 12 bucks for the 2 year warranty. I read the article that Grizz gave me (a must read!) and I use 50% water to 50% vinegar with a few drops of dish soap. After 3 heated cycles the brass is like new flash hole and all!

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I said,
quote:
What I want now is for it to clean the insides of .223 cases and the primer pockets. Can that be done with one of these things?

Yes We Can! I used 55-60% white vinegar, tapwater, a small squirt of dish soap, half a teaspoon of Harbor Freight u-s cleaning powder and ran them bad boys through maybe ten 480-second cycles. Took that long to get them clean, but they look like they are new, never-fired brass in the primer pocket. The insides are likewise as-new. Beauty of it is, I was able to do other things during the time they were buzzing away-- not sitting at my reloading table suffering through the mindless, boring, repetitive drudgery of scraping 200-some primer pockets. I love this thing! Just sixty bucks plus ten for the two-year replacement warranty. Such a deal!

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote