THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 1895 guide vs 1895 cowboy velocity ?
 Login/Join

<kidcoltoutlaw>
posted
the 1895 guide gun has a 18.5 inch barrel the cowboy gun has a 26 inch barrel .has anybody shot the same load through both guns using a chronograph.is so how much is the loss with the short barrel,thanks,keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not but I suspect it would be about 125 FPS as the big bores do not react to velocity like a hi-velocity cartridge and you can figure about 15 to 20 FPS per inch...125 to 150 FPS is a good deal of velocity with a 400 or 500 gr. bullet when it comes to killing power, but not much with a hi vel caliber and a light bullet....

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it the larger the bore dimater the less velocity lossed per inch of shorter barrel ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that I tend to load my guide gun hotter than Ray prefers, but for what I would use my .45-70 on (lets not start the .45-70 for Thick-skinned DG issue again), I'll take the trade-off of lower velocity for better handling.

If I was going to do Cowboy shooting or something like that, I'd probably shoot at a lower velocity and have a blast with the longer barrel.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote