New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Whelen question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have 100's of 30-06 brass. I plan to make my .35whelen brass out of them. What all is involved in doing so? I have Lyman dies.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about in a Lyman die but, in my Hornady dies I just ran the case in the sizer and loaded as usual.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have made a lot of 35 Whelen from 30.06 brass using RCBS dies. It is, at least in my experience, one of the easier brass conversions to do. I simply give each piece a bit of Imperial Sizing Wax and run them through the Whelen die. Cast aways are few.

I think you'll have good luck with this.

Vlad

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redneck7mm:
I have 100's of 30-06 brass. I plan to make my .35whelen brass out of them. What all is involved in doing so? I have Lyman dies.

Making .35 Whelen brass from 30-06 is pretty straight forward. basically, you just lube the cases and run them through the .35 Whelen sizing die and you're good to go. FWIW, It's a hell of a lot easier if you Whelen die has a tapered expander. If you don't, contact Lyman and see if they if they have a replacement expander plug. Shouldn't cost more than a couple of bucks, and it will make life easier. Make sure the inside of the neck gets a bit of lube. I usually apply it with a Cue-tip with just the slightest amount of lube.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hornady dies have a nicely tapered expander. I have formed 35 Whelen from 06 easily with them. Lubing the inside of the neck as well as the outside makes it easier.