New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223, 22-250, or .243
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am buying a new rifle but can't decide which cartridge or configuration I want. The rifle will be used on the range 99% of the time punching paper. I do most of my shooting at 300 yards or less, but i'd also like to try some shooting at long range out to 500. The ability to use a bullet with a high BC at 3000 fps or so would be benficial for the long range stuff. I don't plan to compete in any organized events right now, but may do so in the future.

I am considering buying a Stevens 200 in one of these cartridges and upgrading the stock and trigger, or buying a heavy barrel 12 fv Savage. i'm not really interestedin any other manufacturers at this point. I'm looking for input from anyone who has one of these rifles. How much benefit is the heavy barrel going to give me over the standard? Does one of these cartridges have an advantage in accuracy ?

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i would go w/ the .22-250 if I were you. Much faster velocities, around 4000fps. that's cookin! I would go w/ the savage bull barrel rifle over the stephens. if you decide against the .22-250, my next choice would be .223, then .243. the .223 and the .22-250 are almost a "tie" for me. it would be a hard choice for me to make.

Gun control is hitting your target.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the range 99% of the time.. I'd opt for the .223. Much cheaper to load, or buy ammo for. I wouldn't make a selection on what you one day hope to do, and likely won't do on a consistent basis. For range work, the .223 is versatile, accurate, and relatively inexpensive. Just my $.02.

Posts: 68 | Location: Dayton, OH USA | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elkhunter

I'm going to assume that you have other rifles and this won't be used for game. Seeing your location is Bozeman, MT my suggestion is going to be a Savage 12BVSS in .243. I know it gets breezy there and the .243 is going to really get you a lot more wind bucking ability than the other two calibers. It has a plentiful supply of once fired brass along with some bullets with pretty good BC's. In the 10 pound BVSS it is going to be pretty mild to shoot. The twist should handle the 105 Gr A-Max with ease.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersI have the Stevens 200 in .22-250 and the Savage 12vbss-s in 223. The .22-250 isn't exactly a tack driver but it does better than MOA with many loads. I was able to reduce the trigger pull from about 7lbs. to just below 5Lbs on my fishing scale. It is what it is intended to be a great walk around rifle of opportunity. I've got two barrels on the way for it: a 250-3000 deep throat and a 6.5 X 55.

The .223 is great on paper. Some 5 shot groups at 50 yds. have been about 1/8".Accurately handles 75 gr. bullets.

FYI-My .243 is a Ruger Varmint and does well with bullets ranging from 58 gr. to 100 gr. lolroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with some of the other posts. If you 99% paper punching, the 223 is the way to go. Make no mistake, the 223 will knock the stem winding XXXX out of any varmint at 500 yds if you do your part with 53gr Sierra Match bullets. Remember, accuracy kills, high velocity numbers infuence friends. Savage makes a great rifle but I would sure go with the model 12 over the 200.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't help you with this one...

I have all three and couldn't live without owning at least one in each caliber...

I could give up any of my bigger calibers above 260 before I could give up ANY one of those calibers....you mention...

Heck get one of each.... buy them used, if you find one or two aren't meeting your needs, you can always sell them for what you have into them......

That Steven's 200 Route is not a bad route to go,...

The only problem with used, is that most of the time when one finds those rifles on the used rack is because they have been shot out... all three are accurate calibers....

But if you buy new, there is certainly always a market for any one of those calibers, that will move real quick....as each are highly desired...

they just plain work...

cheers and good luck..
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I'm a Savage fan and have two that are sitting in the other room while the epoxy sets.
They both have been upgraded as time and money permits.
I would suggest the 12BVSS for the accutrigger.
It is the one thing on the rifles I haven't seen the need to upgrade. After break-in you will probably find it capable of 1/2 moa with the right load.
If you are thinking of shooting 300 to 500 yards the .243 is probably the way to go because of the bullet selection. 6mm is a common caliber used by comp shooters and will be more stable in windy conditions.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have all 3 calibers mentioned and if it is range time that you will mostly be shooting, go with the .223 for that previously mentioned reasons.
For me, the best reason is CHEAP ammo if you just want to shoot and if you reload, range brass is like fleas on a old hound, it's everywhere.
You can get really good accuracy from the right load combo and it will take down any varmint you will encounter.
Go with the Savage bull barrel if for nothing else, the Accu-Trigger.
Just my opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage Model 12 in 22-250. I have shot and loaded for, but do not own, a Remington 700 laminated stock heavy barrel .223. I do not own a .243, but I do have an older Remington 700 (from the era in which Remington was using pressed checkering on the stocks) Varmint Special in 6mm Remington -- a caliber slightly superior, in my opinion, to the .243

The .223 is the least expensive to load for and shoot, so if that matters to you, choose the .223 -- in some rifles it may also be the most accurate.

All three are capable of high accuracy, so that will depend on the individual rifle and load. But the .243 will buck the wind better if that is a factor for you. It will also handle a larger variety of bullets.

The 22-250 will give the highest velocity, and that will give you an advantage at ranges over 300 yards, all else being equal.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
IMO there is no reason for a reloader to take the .223 over a 22-250. Redicing the loads to .223 level leaves you with 2 rifle sin one, and anyone who says reduced loads can't be just as accurate as full power ones hasn't played with them much. A banchrester might be able to find a difference, but the other 99.9% of us will lose any difference in lot to lot (and day to day, rifle to rifle, shooter to shooter, etc.) variation.

Well maybe there is one practical reason to consider a .223, the Savage .223 has a 9" twist, the 22-250 IIRC is a 12"...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you really want to do some 500 yard shooting, then none of the .22's are appropriate. The little bullets get blown around in the wind mercilessly. A .243 with a plastic-tipped bullet, preferably at 70 grains or above, will provide much more predictability at 500 yards than any .22. I have virtually every .22 caliber from Hornet up through .22-250, as well as several 243's and 6mm's. The .22's are knife-edge accurate and great fun, but I can assure you that when ranges exceed 400 yards, the 6's come out.

But if 99% of your shooting is at paper, just move the paper closer and use the .22 of your choice. Or wait for a day with no wind. One usually comes along every couple of years.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stonecreek:
The .22's are knife-edge accurate and great fun, but I can assure you that when ranges exceed 400 yards, the 6's come out.QUOTE]

Thats why the various 6mm's and in particular the 6ppc dominate at all ranges in benchrest. If I were going to be prarie doggin at 400 plus the 243 AI is the first one to the bench. A centerfire 22 is certainly up to the task but a 6mm is so much easier. I have not a lot of use for a .223 but ownership of a 22/250 or 22/250 AI is required in my world. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim White:
I have not a lot of use for a .223Jim

That's the camp I was in***** till I got one. monaroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am considering buying a Stevens 200 in one of these cartridges and upgrading the stock and trigger, or buying a heavy barrel 12 fv Savage.

I had been wrestling with the same question, although for me it was between the .223 and .243 Winchester in the Stevens 200. I decided on the .243 Winchester for now, and hope to pick up a .223 Remington later. I also picked up a Rifle Basix trigger for it that a buddy will help me install, it is supposed to be adjustable between 1 to 3 lbs. I will put my Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14 on it once I get some decent rings. For now I mounted a Nikko Golden Sterling 3-9 on it in the cheap rings that came on my Walmart Super Shadow. I haven't shot it yet, but am eager to see how it shoots, It will be used mostly for varmints but also as a back up for deer if more than one of my sons wants to go hunting with me at the same time. (Already have the Super Shadow in .270WSM and a Howa in 6.5x55 for medium game) I know from experience that you can count on a .243 Win with 70 gr bullets to whack rock chucks out to 400 yards. That is more than you can reasonably expect from a .223. That and the fact that with proper bullets, it is a pretty good deer cartridge out to 250 yards or a bit further made me choose the .243.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote