Notify
Tools

Advice needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Anyone use one of these?

I don't load enough to justify a Dillan but this might just fit my needs. I have two rockchuckers setting side by side right now.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
no visible picture, so what is it?

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Redding T7 turret press. The pic is visible to me. You should be able to see it. It is from the Midway website.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I got a Lyman turret press a while ago and before I started using it was skeptical about how decent of a press it would be. It turned out all my fears of turret presses seem to be unfounded. Resizes cases just as easily as the rockchucker, and forms my 20 caliber wildcat ammo with no extra effort either.

Comparing the redding with the lyman, the redding looks a lot beefier so I'd have absolutely no issues getting one, especially since you do have a RCBS to do any extra heavy duty work you might have.

The only operational issue I've had is that you can get used to changing stations so quickly that if the ram is up and you spint the turret past a decapping die it will bend or break the decapping pin, so just be careful of that and make sure the handle is up before you turn the turret and I bet you'll be happy.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have one by the other green company. and a lyman t-mag also an older spar-t.. I have several sets of rifle dies set up and some pistol..
the green turrent press is a rcbs slightly used in the box with the primer feed if your interester pm me. http://www.realguns.com/archives/047.htm
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. If I get one it will be the Redding T7.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you put the primer in that arm thingy? Is it done one-by-one?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Here you go HomeB

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Lyman and love it. You will also love the Redding. Just work slow like a single stage, no need to fully load one round at a time.
I size and expand by moving the turret, then I prime by hand and measure the charge with cases in a block. Then I seat and crimp in the press.
The convenience of having all of your dies set up is a great thing.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here you go, HomeB.

That set-up has much more involved in it than the swingy thingy, D. How does the swingy thingy work? Looks like it is really slow and requires lots of handling of small primers with the tips of the fingers...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
the swingy thingy

You mean the turret? You just index it to the die you want to use. The primer feed is manual. You load the tube up & go.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
posted Hide Post
The first reloading press I ever used was a Turret press, a Holywood if I remember correctly.

It was handy when loading, say 20 rounds to experiment with, you could rotate the head to the proper die for each case,.

However I found that when loading a bunch I just resized every case, then belled every case etc...

If you shoot a lot of the same calibre/same load, get a Progressive Loader.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
All I ever use is turret presses and progressives anymore. I think that the constantly re-setting dies offers more variations to my reloading than the turret does.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the T-7 Redding and love it. Its a breeze to do any case that needs to be belled, size, turn the turret come back up and bell, case is ready for powder.

I load .220 Swift up to .458 Lott on it. Get it and you will be very happy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a T7 for about a year now and couldn't be happier. Save yourself alot of time by buy a hand primer....worth the little extra money!! WELL WORTH IT!