Notify
Tools

50 cal MG powder 5010 & 5020
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
The thread on WC 860 nudged me to pass on this info even if it is embarrassing
Frowner Experimented with these two powders for quite a number of years.I really never got complete burning In any cartridge from the 22-250 to my .358 X .404 IMP.
ConfusedSomeone on this forum asked me " If you got it all to burn how do you know you haven't got too much"?
homerThis sparked me to get better burning ( diminish unburned powder ) by using duplex loading. On a number of rifles and this seemed to show promise!
I'll cut to the chase.
22-250, 55 grain bullet
680 / 5020

13gr./ 27.5gr. Looks great ,no pressure signs.

14gr./ 26 gr. Destroyed rifle!!! Brazed what was left of the cartridge case to the face of the cracked bolt.Later with a new bolt, found that the receiver was badly set back.
I was fortunate; I got some hot gas and maybe some vaporized brass in my face.

oldI'm passing this info on in the hopes that it will prevent some one from taking the same or similar paths.
Roll Eyesroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wow; you were lucky.
Note to self; do not do that.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Lucky? Yes. To complete the story I gave away What was left in each 8# jug. Frowner roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What kind of rifle?

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mixing works well with Gin and Tonic, not so much with two different gunpowders.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
What kind of rifle?

Roll Eyes98 Mauser

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Mixing works well with Gin and Tonic, not so much with two different gunpowders.[/QUOT

coffeeI think I'll stick to Crown Royal and one ice cube. beerroger

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a ratio of kicker to main powder that high.
I have also always read to NOT use fine ball powder for the kicker.

Luckily for any of us who have deconstructed a firearm that we were not injured.

Isn't 5010 and 5020 stick powder?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:

Luckily for any of us who have deconstructed a firearm that we were not injured.

Isn't 5010 and 5020 stick powder?

popcorn5010 is extruded and 5020 is ball. beerroger

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TCLouis:

homerThe devil made me do it. beerroger