New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading equipment suggestions
 Login/Join

<CARR4570>
posted
I'm getting ready to purchase a new press, scales, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been looking at RCBS the most. Any help would be much appreciated. I don't have any wildcats yet but hope to soon so I was wondering about things suitable for that endeavor also. Thanks gents.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS Rock Chuker Kit....Gives you most everything you need.
You will find varying replies on dies, but you cant go much better than Forster Benchrest dies.
Good luck..sakofan..
[Wink]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
carr4570, If I were starting over, I'd buy one of the "master reloading kits" offered by RCBS. Wait until they go on sale, put the extra $ into reloading books.

I can't think of any extras you'll need...they are probably calibre specific(dies/trim&form) when one is dealing with wildcats. However,I would suggest some type of vld reamer for the boat tail bullets, especially the coated ones. A guy never needs one until after midnight...when you can't get one.

packrat

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
<Carroll B>
posted
One good thing about RCBS equipment is the lifetime warranty. Even if you buy it used and it's broken you can get it fixed for free. I never hesitate to buy used RCBS dies for this reason.

one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
The RCBS Master Kit has about all you'll need and it's quality equipment that will last a life time. You'll need dies and get several loading manuels. I would add a case tumbler & media.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Kit and the RCBS Accessory Kit.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever you buy, keep it simple, at least at first. Unless you load for numerous calibers or load in very high volumes, a single stage-single station press, as opposed to a turret or progressive, will serve you best. It will be more rugged and trouble free.

RCBS is a good recommendation, but their products are very similar in quality to others like Lyman and Hornady. RCBS is sort of the "standard" and therefore, if you want to "trade up" later, RCBS equipment is perhaps a bit more liquid and better property on the used market. At some point, but certainly not now, you may want to make a jump in quality to something like Redding or others.

Make sure that any press you buy has a long enough throat for full-length magnums like 7mm STW or the Ultramag series. Some of the earlier presses from RCBS and others did not.

Good Luck!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
Check E-bay there are some times when there is a good buy on the RCBS Master Kit. Good Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got the Rockchucker kit.

I like the:

1) press
2) scale
3) mouth chmafering tool
4) warranty [I broke the press]

I don't like the:

1) Load book ["Speer 12"] [get Sierra]
2) case trimmer [get Forster or Wilson]
3) primer pocket cleaner [Get Lee]
4) funnel
5) case lube [Get Imperial Wax]
6) case lube pad
7) case neck brush

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<CARR4570>
posted
I have been looking around and RCBS seemed like the way to go. I'm glad everyone else agreed. They changed the name of the Rock Chucker though and threw me a little bit though. Thanks for the suggestions I really appreciate them. I've had a CZ 9,3x62 on order now for 2 months and when it finally gets here I will need to reload if I'm going to shoot it much.