Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 Win loads
 Login/Join

posted
I am working up loads for .270 Win using Berger 140 and 150 VLDs.
Does anyone have any pet loads for bullets of this weight. I would like to get 3000 - 3100 fps with accuracy. Using RL 15 now at 2760 avg with good accuracy but the manuals say 47gr of RL 15 is tops.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ken

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kstrick5002:
I am working up loads for .270 Win using Berger 140 and 150 VLDs.
Does anyone have any pet loads for bullets of this weight. I would like to get 3000 - 3100 fps with accuracy. Using RL 15 now at 2760 avg with good accuracy but the manuals say 47gr of RL 15 is tops.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ken

Ken:
I've thought about trying some 150 gr. Bergers in my .270 Win. but couldn't find any and gave up.
I use 150 gr. Partitions exclusively in my Pre-64, Mod. 70 and get consistant 3/4" groups. My load is 57.0 grs. of Rldr-22 (one gr. under max.)and bullets are seated 0.010" from the lands AS MEASURED TO THE OGIVE!!!
My velocity is 2930 - 2940 fps as measured on the chrono. There is no way you will safely get 3000 fps with a 150 gr. bullet in a .270 Win. I tried for years to do it safely with no luck. With a 140 gr.? I dunno for sure - maybe. Easy with a 130 gr.
Your velocity does look anemic with Rldr-15. For more, I'd look at Rldr-22.
Hope this helps some.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ve hit 2990 fps with 140 gr Hornady SSTs in my 270 burning R22. This however is a tight chambered 26" tube and shows pressure signs way below book max loads with max velocities coming at lower charge weights to match.
I doubt you`ll hit 3000 fps at safe pressures with a shorter tube or factory barrel and chamber.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
H4831 is hard to beat in the 270win, with R22 not far behind.

An exact load is rifle specific, just go with a mid range load and build up to find the sweet spot.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted Hide Post
the 270 is very easy to reload for. ive been loading for it for too many years. i never load to full power as i have never had the need to go top's with this caliber.

my absolute favorite is a hornady 140 gr boattail spitzer, ahead of 54 grain imr 4831, sparked with a large rifle primer, in winchester brass. yhis drives around 2800+ feet per second. ive owned many 270's and this load never lets me down. i had a m-70 that would print 5 inside a quarter every time. ive never had a rifle that acted badly with this load and ive taken many elk and seen many more taken with it. a few bears and a train load of deer out to 300 yrds.

good luck with this fun and mild caliber of winchesters

----------------------------------
when all is said and done...more will be said then done

Posts: 134 | Location: alaska | Registered: 26 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
When I had a 270 (which was for many years) I was using the 130 grain bullets and H4831 out of a 22" barrel. I would use BT's and 62.0 grains in a Winchester case that would require a drop tube and a lot of shaking to get all the powder in. Velocity over a Chronograph was 3050-3100 fps and accuracy was 1.0-1.5" out of an early model Ruger 77. Those early ones were not noted for accuracy and I think mine bore that out.

It took a lot of deer and some elk and was topped with a Leo 2x7 scope. My daughter-in-law shoots it now.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
62 grains of 4831 anything is a WAY hhot load--use the standard rules. Reloader called the powders for sure.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
62 grains of 4831 anything is a WAY hhot load--use the standard rules. Reloader called the powders for sure.

Some of those early Rugers had sloppy chambers and very loose bores. If he had one of those, his loads might have been OK FOR HIS RIFLE.
There was an article in RIFLE Magazine years back where a fellow was getting .280 Rem. velocities from a Ruger M77 in 7x57 Mauser. A chamber cast and bore measurement showed a laarge for cartridge chamber and a bore much more open than normal specs.
I only mention this because in both cases, the rifles were early Ruger 77s.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of thoughts:

If I remember correctly, Jack O'Connor touted a 62-grain 4831 load (and books say it was H4831) over a 130. I will admit it is hot, but probably won't lock up a rifle...

My favorite load is 60 grains of AA3100 lit with a CCI-200; it pushes a Speer 130 GS at a clocked 3150 from my 22" barreled BDL. And that is with the bullet seated .010" off the lands...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:

Some of those early Rugers had sloppy chambers and very loose bores. If he had one of those, his loads might have been OK FOR HIS RIFLE.
There was an article in RIFLE Magazine years back where a fellow was getting .280 Rem. velocities from a Ruger M77 in 7x57 Mauser. A chamber cast and bore measurement showed a laarge for cartridge chamber and a bore much more open than normal specs.
I only mention this because in both cases, the rifles were early Ruger 77s.
Paul B.

Fish30114

Never said that this is the load for YOUR rifle. Only that it worked in MY rifle. You must remember as noted above by Paul B. that each rifle is different and comes with different internal dimensions.

I would of thought that you would have known that?????????

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote