Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Reloader For A Total Newby To Reloading
 Login/Join

posted
I plan on purchasing a Weatherby Vanguard 300WSM this fall when they are available. I am also interested in purchasing a reloader for the 300WSM ammo to ease on shooting costs. I really don't know squat about high powered rifle rounds or reloading, so I am asking for HELP!
Which reloader would be best for my needs, and what all do I need to purchase to get started?
Thanks in advance!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best way to start reloading is to buy a kit. It will have a press, manual, powder measure and scale, and all the other basic stuff. You buy the dies and shell holder extra.

I've used my RCBS press for about 30 years and its a good brand.

Lee products are good and cost a little less but I'll stick with RCBS.

Read the manual carefully several times and follow it faithfully and you'll do fine.

As time goes on you'll want to get stuff like a micrometer. powder trickler, brass polisher and so on but a kit is always the best way to start.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of what you will need will be found in one of the starter kits. My personal recogmendation would be the "Rockchucker" by RCBS. A 6" dial caliper, dies & shellholder would round out the needed equipment.
Reloading manuals from the maker of the bullets you plan to use, plus those from the powder manfactures, gives you proven data to start with (along with some good general information). The RCBS kit comes with the Lyman manual, I believe.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy the Lee Aniversery Kit ($67). It's inexpensive and it will allow you the reload very accurate ammunition. You will also need to purchase dies for the ammo you plan to reload (about $40). Make sure you buy a neck sizing die as this will allow your ammo to better fit the gun you shoot the ammo from (may be included with die set). You also need a case length gauge for the specific caliber that you are reloading ($4).

Many people will give Lee the thumbs down, claiming that it is cheap. Don't be fooled. Lee offers a very affordable way for you to get into reloading. You can then decide what upgrades you want when you get some experience.

I started with Lee and have no regrets.

The Lee kit includes a single stage press. No matter which manufacturer you choose, get a single stage press. It's the ONLY way to learn.

If money's not an issue, disregard this post and go with The RCBS Master Reloader Kit.

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoops!!!

Don't forget the most important part, get a manual! Speer's is cheap and contains all the info you need. I think they are all the same (for liability reasons they should all contain the same safety info) except for the quantity of load data that they provide. You can get load data off the internet. Load Data

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Midway is a great source of reloading supplies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Speer and RCBS are both made by the same firm, Omark.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a Rock Chucker (sp?)

But most of my reloading is still done on the original Reloader Special 2 press I got in an RCBS kit, which also contained the Speer Manual.

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well I really appreciate the input and any additional feedback given. I thought being new that a progressive reloader might be the best way to go, but it seems as if most people suggest doing the kits.
I seen in Cabela's they have a RCBS RC Supreme Master Reloading Kit for $260.00. I realize I would have to buy the dies and shell holder, but is there anything else that you guys with experience think I should buy or change a part out? How important is a hopper or deburrer?
Thanks again!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The cheapest way to go is to buy a kit. The best way to go is to find an experienced reloader to take you under his wing. A mentor is invaluable. !!!

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly new to reloading myself.
Id go w/ RCBS Rockchuker Kit...BUT, I would get Forster or Redding dies. They will work w/ the RCBS press. They give much better ammo than the RCBS dies. Less runout, etc...
RCBS has outstanding customer service, and you can call them for help.
I have tried others, and you cant really go wrong w/ RCBS. The Rockchuker Master kit or whatever, is really nice....sakofan...Be sure to ask alot of questions, and read the manual thouroughly.... [Smile]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Do your self a favor and pick up either a rock crusher or whatever it is that replaced it,the crusher has been superceded,I think they said the repl. has a longer throat,or a dillon 550 progressive,imho is a better deal,if you're going to do any pistol stuff or other calibers.I personally size everything on my rockcrusher[bottleneck rifle],trim,then finish on the 550.to do it over again,id get a 550 and a extra head just for the sizing die and do everything on it.The sizing operation produces "thumps" that can wreak havoc on the powder measure accuracy,You'll also find that the cases stretch after sizing no matter what you do,,,and it will vary by a good margin[then that will give you fits in the seating/crimping area].After the sizing,,everything else goes smooth as silk.pistol cases are a different story,set your dirs for each station,and start cranking out ammo. Good Luck,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
GET THE GUN FIRST, TRY IT OUT, SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT, THEN COME BACK IF YOU'RE STILL INTERESTED IN GETTING INTO RELOADING. PEOPLE CHANGE.

TALK ABOUT THE CART BEFORE THE....

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<El Viejo>
posted
Before you buy, check out the Dillon reloader.
They normally make progressive loaders, but they have built a bare bones loader which is close to the single stage press. Later, if you wish, you can purchase the components piecemeal and upgrade it to a full blown progressive press.

My experience was that I bought a small loader, because I was going to load one thing, once in a while. Once I got started, I realized how cheap it was to shoot, and my gun collection began to grow. I soon outgrew my loader, and traded up to a bigger one anyway. The Dillon route will let your machine grow with you, and will be cost effective.

Dillon AT500 Starter Kit

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't notice,did anyone mention a scale? derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DutchK9, I wouldn't worry about all the "extras" for reloading at this point. Those items come as you gain experience and after getting biten by the accuracy bug. No need to spend all that money at this point when you're not even sure you'll like it. I personnaly like RCBS and recommend the kit tehy sell. I've never had a problem with them and their customer service is tremendous. Not sure what the kit comes with, but if you plan on shooting allot, a case trimmer and deburring tool(Forster) should also be early purchases.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well I appreciate everyones input. I have a Cabela's Credit Card so I can get my toys, and will use the points to get the RCBS Supreme Master Kit as suggested by their tech staff and several people here. It also has the ability to become a progressive reloader down the road if needed.
I'm sure that not liking or getting bored of reloading will not be a question because I do like to research before making purchases, and like to shoot alot.
The comments were all very informative!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whichever hardware you choose, get at least two manuals for reference. Then read them before you start anything. I found that the Lyman book was a great help in the "how to" area and re-read it a couple times before I loaded my first round.

If you know someone who reloads don't be shy about asking for help; never met a shooter who wasn't willing to help another.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Albert:
Speer and RCBS are both made by the same firm, Omark.

Albert, my friend, you have just dated yourself...severely. [Razz]

Omark was two owners ago. First there was Blount, and now it's Alliant.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before doing anything else I would suggest spending $10 on the Sinclair Precision Reloading & Shooting Handbook.

I think it was the best $10 I ever spent.

I would definitely advise an RCBS or Redding press in a kit form. Either will last forever. If you want real accurracy I would get the best you can afford, you get what you pay for. I currently use a RCBS Rockchucker with Redding Dies. I think Redding dies are superior to almost all others. Get the Nosler manual also.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!!

Posts: 66 | Location: Tucson | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you're reloading pistol ammo for cowboy shooting, get a single stage press. You want to see how well you can reload, not how fast. I've used a rcbs junior press for 40 years and its still ticking. I also have a Lee press. I use it dedicated to ammo with small primers. It does a good job too. As posted above, first get a good reloading book. When you read it through the SECOND time, you'll begin to know what you need to start reloading. One friendly suggestion, don't go into a chat room and say "what do I need to start reloading?" You'll get so much info your nose will bleed. Better to ask: "what is the best powder measure and why?" etc.
Have fun. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<El Viejo>
posted
Speaking of reloading books, you can get free booklets from the various powder manufacturers. In addition to reloading data, there is other useful and interesting information

posted Hide Post
Well obviously there is more than I could of imagined to reloading, but as trathner put it........it will be an addiction!
Thanks for all the help...I will do my best to follow it all.