New loading data at:
http://stevespages.com/page8c.htm

New owner's manuals at:
http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

New IPB's (schematics, blow-ups) at:
http://stevespages.com/page7a.htm

New downloads at:
http://stevespages.com/page8b.htm

Planned additions include more new loading data and drawings and measurements of cartridges.

Stop on by...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Steve -

How DO you find the time to do all that stuff. Amazing!!

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Well, ya see it's like this...

First my dog got killed...

Then my wife left me...

Then the price of gasoline went up to $1.93 a gallon...

Then the temperature dropped to 20 below zero...

Then it started snowing...

So what the hell else do I have to do???

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Swamp-Man>
posted
Sounds like the making of a country music song! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Hey, I wrote one of them there things once...only I called it a country love poem...

A Country Love Poem (or Song)

There I was at Bubba's Saloon
been drinking beer since nearly noon.
I looked at the clock it was nearly nine
when out the doors the sirens did whine.

Being half drunk and out of cash
thougt it would be fun to find the crash.
Was I surprised when I did find
it wasn't a crash, but a fire in the house of mine.

I stood there totally amazed
as everything I loved went up in a blaze.
The flames were bright, the smoke raised high
I felt inside that my soul had died.

First caved the roof, and then the porch.
Poor old "Yeller"s tail lit like a torch.
I hear him howl and I heard him whine
but when the porch collapsed it was the end of his time.

Next fell the walls, with a terrible crash
and I wondered where mama kept her stash.
The flames were hot and the winds did fan,
I couldn't get to her old coffee can.

I sat on my fender crying a tear
when a large burning piece of timber landed real near.
I took of my coat, but cound not stop the spread
and soon my pickup joined the dead.

So here I was, all alone.
My mama had died in the fire of my home.
But so had my dog and my wonderful truck,
so I said to myself, "Oh what the fuck!"

The flames died down, and the ashes were strewn
couldn't tell the kitchen from the indoor bathroom!
I did find the fridge, all charred and burned
so I opened the door, and my heart overturned!

There on the shelf, where so proudly they had sat
were 24 cans of Lone Star, all blown flat.
My God, my God, this is my worst fear!
I have no money and no more damn beer!

Just then Billy Bob came to my side
he sat very patiently as I cried.
He offered me a swig from his old brown jug
I took it down deep, he gave it a tug.

Then he said to me, "the ashes are clear,
and we found your brother's body in bed, with the woman you held dear"
I knew at that time I could take no more,
So we headed right out to the package goods store.

As we drove out the drive and I looked back
I remembered the oak tree, and that big paper sack.
BB I cried, "Turn your truck around!
with that I've lost, there is something to be found."

So he did a u-turn in what once was a drive
and steered through the wrecks that once kept the yard alive.
We reached that tree, and I jumped with joy!
The brown bag was there, and still filled with my Playboys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
COUNTRY MUSIC is a CONTRADITION IN TERMS....ain't it????????

the 2nd amendment protects us all.............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since about 1965, yes.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Excellent, Steve! [Big Grin]

Thanks for sharing that with us. You're a man of many talents...

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

1. Have you personally tested each of the loads listed, or are some of them loads developed by others?

2. Would you like to list the Bullseye load that I used to blow up that 6.5 Jap?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
ricciardelli,

Great!!

But in handguns section, when do you get time could you listed heavy bullet weight loads in .44 Mag,.45 Colt,.454 Casull,...And some reload data for the .500 Linebaugh.

I think I'm not the only one who shot this big bore handguns with heavy weight bullets.

I thank you in advance to continue your great job.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Steve,

1. Have you personally tested each of the loads listed, or are some of them loads developed by others?

2. Would you like to list the Bullseye load that I used to blow up that 6.5 Jap?

The data posted on my pages is the collection of over 40 years of reloading. About 95% of the data was personally recorded. The other 5% has come from various close friends whom I trust totally.

As for your Bullseye load, no thanks...

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BER007:
ricciardelli,

Great!!

But in handguns section, when do you get time could you listed heavy bullet weight loads in .44 Mag,.45 Colt,.454 Casull,...And some reload data for the .500 Linebaugh.

I think I'm not the only one who shot this big bore handguns with heavy weight bullets.

I thank you in advance to continue your great job.

Haven't managed to get my hands on a .500 Linebaugh, or the new .500 S&W...yet...

Besides, at 20 below, it is a little chilly yet to go outside and do new testing.

Not sure what you mean by "heavy bullets", I have tested up to 300 grain bullets in those calibers.

You gotta remember one thing...I have no one supporting this, and it does get quite expensive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But Steve, I guarantee that the Bullseye load will have the desired effect of setting the lugs black, blowing the mag box open and splitting the stock.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, I just ordered some 340 grain cast lead bullets for the 454 casull. Do you know where there is some relatively light (1000 to 1100 fps) load data for 340's in the 454? Thanks.

<338Lapua>
posted
Mr. Ricciardelli,

I've said this before, but I have to say it again, thanks for taking the time and putting together THE most complete reloading sites on the web. I reference your site at what seems weekly. I can only imagine how much it cost to complete all of the reloading test you have done.

Keep up the fine work!

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,out of all of the testing you have done,have you ever experimented with crimped vs. non-crimped rounds?

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Steve,

What i wanted to read on your great website is heavy weight bullets reload datas. Over 300 gr for calibers I listed.

I know that you share you own experience with us in your reloading tables.

Your reload tables are now nearly complete [Wink]

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sll:
Steve,out of all of the testing you have done,have you ever experimented with crimped vs. non-crimped rounds?

Yup...

And I have found the following to be the general rule:

For all semi-auto pistol cases (ie. 9mm, .38 Super, .45ACp, etc) a taper crimp.

For all straight-walled revolver cases (ie. .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .45 Colt, etc) a firm roll crimp.

For all single-shot pistol and rifle loads, no crimp.

For all tubular magazines, a roll crimp.

For bottle-necked cartridges in bolt-action, no crimp.

For bottle-necked cartridges in lever-action, pump-action, and semi-auto, a roll crimp if the bullet is so manufactured, if not, then a strong taper crimp.

For all full-auto, a strong roll crimp.

There are some exceptions to this...I taper crimp .30 Carbine, some .45-70's have no crimp (the ones I use in my Rugers) and some have a roll crimp (the ones I used in my Marlins).

In addition, a crimp may or may not be required depending on what powder you are loading. Basically I have found that all ball powders require a strong crimp to insure complete ignition.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally - my favorite part of your site is the story and history of cartridges you have owned - I read them over and over - it has humorously killed many a long slow day at work - you do write well. However, we need new material - so - at your expense - go buy some more firearms in calibers you haven't written about so we can be further entertained. Seriously, when I return to my home state of Montana I want to be just like you - I know your heart is running on low octane every now and then but you have truly enriched us all with your knowledge and passion of firearms and sense of humor. Just for your info I use to fly on RC-135's when I was in the airforce - sort of the follow-on to the EC121's you served time in. My dad, an airline pilot became a licensed guide and FFL gun guru in Montana after he retired and ran many a float trip on the Jefferson river - Outdoor Life did an article on him guiding their then fishing editor Joe Brooks. My mom was a nurse in Sheridan for many years. Keep up the good work. Wish I was there - gophers should be sticking their heads up about now.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you "heavy for caliber" guys ever put 300gr bullets through a 45 ACP? My assumption is that internal case volume gets so low with that big of a bullet that the 260gr is the effective upper limit from a pressure perspective.

You might consider this more of a rhetorical question than anything.

Thanks,

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
rifleman1

Yup, two of them popped their heads up the other day...through 14" of snow! I watched them run around for awhile...and then wished them the best of luck.

I'd be more than happy to write some new stories on some new cartridges and guns...send me the guns and a few bucks for supplies, and I'll work-up some loads for them...

Currently on the burner are some new loads for the .22-250's and the 6mm's. I started with varget in the .22-250 last spring, and the results were so damn disappointing that I put the gun in the vault, and decided there were other things to do!

HOWEVER...I have loaded another 150 rounds using the Sierra 52 HPBT and Varget ... and 4 different primers! (This gun shoots around around 0.260-inches for 5-shots at 200-yards, with my standard H-380 loads...).

After I get that sucker done, I wanna use some Varget in one of my 6mm's with the Sierra 85 HPBT.
This particular 6mm does 0.342-inches for 5-shots at 200-yards with IMR-4350.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I too would like to thank you for your wonderful pages. You haved helped tremedously with your knowledge and expertise....sakofan

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
can`t open your page, what am I do�ng wrong?????

Posts: 18 | Location: tucson az | Registered: 08 January 2003Reply With Quote
<harkm>
posted
Steve, what seems to be your favorite powder on all bullet weights and cartridges? I see you have RL-22 highlighted quite often on the calibers pages. Is there one powder that always seems to group well no matter what you use?

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
[Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaslure:
can`t open your page, what am I do�ng wrong?????

You have to stand on one leg, tie your right arm behind your back, eat a hot dog at the same time whistle "Dixie".

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by harkm:
Steve, what seems to be your favorite powder on all bullet weights and cartridges? I see you have RL-22 highlighted quite often on the calibers pages. Is there one powder that always seems to group well no matter what you use?

Afraid not. If there was, life would be a lot simpler.

As for "best powder", I just reviewed some of my data and it appears that the following powders were found "best", by me in the guns I was shooting, the listed number of loads:

20N-29........4
24N-41........4
3N-37.........3
AA-1680.......8
AA-2015......14
AA-2230......11
AA-2460......15
AA-2495.......2
AA-2520......18
AA-2700.......2
AA-3100.......8
AA-4064.......1
AA-4350......17
AA-5.........11
AA-5744.......2
AA-7..........1
AA-8700......26
AA-9.........20
Benchmark....10
BL-C.........53
Blue Dot.....21
Bullseye......8
H-1000.......16
H-110........71
H-322........30
H-335........39
H-380........33
H-414........72
H-4198.......24
H-4227.......19
H-4350.......59
H-450........16
H-4831.......65
H-4895.......82
H-5010........1
H-50BMG.......2
H-870........34
Herco.........7
HP-38.........3
HS-6..........9
HS-7..........4
IMR-3031....110
IMR-4064.....92
IMR-4198.....60
IMR-4227.....18
IMR-4320.....63
IMR-4350....176
IMR-4831.....87
IMR-4895.....46
IMR-7828.....31
Lil'Gun......11
Magnum........7
MagPro........4
MRP...........3
N-110........16
N-120........15
N-130.........8
N-133........12
N-135........10
N-140........33
N-150.........5
N-160........21
N-165.........3
N-170.........2
N-200.........6
N-201.........3
N-203........18
N-204.........4
N-340.........8
N-350.........5
N-540.........4
N-550.........8
N-560........13
Power Pistol.13
Red Dot.......3
Retumbo.......2
RL-12........16
RL-19........53
RL-22........79
RL-25........49
RL-7.........52
SR-4756.......1
SR-7625.......1
Titegroup.....3
Unique.......17
Universal.....9
Varget.......31
W-230.........1
W-296........48
W-630.........1
W-680.........8
W-748........36
W-760........22
WMR...........3
WSF...........1
WSL...........1

The rest is scattered all over the place. And, I gotta be honest, I started reloading using only IMR powders...for about a year...

<harkm>
posted
Thanks for the response. Nothing really stands out...except maybe IMR-4350.

posted Hide Post
thanks Steve, your method is about the only thing I have not tried, still no-go, guess I will have to get some computer guru to help, have visited your page before and like it, congrats... JASLURE

Posts: 18 | Location: tucson az | Registered: 08 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were you and run outa things to do the rainbows at Duck lake would be a priority. GOOD information Steve. My wife bitches a lot when I go ice fishin', load bullets for hours on end, and disappear during Oct-Nov. Not ready to give her up yet... [Wink]

Posts: 73 | Location: North Central / Montana | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHELENATIC:
If I were you and run outa things to do the rainbows at Duck lake would be a priority. GOOD information Steve. My wife bitches a lot when I go ice fishin', load bullets for hours on end, and disappear during Oct-Nov. Not ready to give her up yet... [Wink]

Ain't a fishin' type person...especially ice fishin'!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank for helping with your site,you are a very patient man ,taking six years reloading a particular rifle.

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
[QB]New stuff at stevespages.com...

New owner's manuals at:
http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

New IPB's (schematics, blow-ups) at:
http://stevespages.com/page7a.htm
QB]

Steve,

Thanks for ALL the incredible work to make your site so marvelous! I'm glad that you have posted the manual and schematic for YOUR favorite gun and mine - The Thompson Contender ! [Big Grin] [Wink] Genghis Khan is very pleased.

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
IMR4350 is the powder of the reloading Gods!