Tools

best load for 40 s&w
 Login/Join

Picture of roger&out
posted
is anybody knows about the best load for 40 s&w 155gr bullet,thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
R&O, the best load I have found with 155 grain bullets in the 40 is 7.2 grais of Alliant PowerPistol powder and standard winchester pistol primer. I don't know if this is the best load out there, but it isn't shabby.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luckyducker:
R&O, the best load I have found with 155 grain bullets in the 40 is 7.2 grais of Alliant PowerPistol powder and standard winchester pistol primer. I don't know if this is the best load out there, but it isn't shabby.

I agree. I've had good luck with Power Pistol powder in my 40's with the 155 grainers. I use more powder than that mentioned above and have been impressed with the velocity and accuracy. I used the 155 g. to take a smaller mule deer buck a couple of years ago while on a chuckar hunt. I've also used in with some 180 g. loads and found it works there also.

I would recommend it.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried allot of powders and bullets with 40sw to see how much power I can get.

I like 800X for the most power, but is is lousy at metering.

Second powder choice for me is Power Pistol.
It meters well, but will chemically attack the plastic hopper of an RCBS Uniflow if left over night.

I would think most people would like AA#7 or Blue Dot, but they take up too much volume for me.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
My favorite for the .40 SW is with Unique Powder. I forget the actual loading, but it gives me reliable cycling of the action, very good accuracy and a velocity of 1150 fps. Not too hot, not too cold... just right.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Best for what, accuracy, vel. ???
I like Unique under a 155gr anything for 1150fps+ range load. For max. effort vel. loads, PP & Longshot are both good under 155grWWSTHP or SpeerGD.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote