Find
Notify
Tools

8x57 Rimmed Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
Does anybody here have experience with this cartridge. I currently have an 8x57 Mauser rifle and love it. I also have a single shot 7x57 which I'm considering rebarelling to 8x57 Rimmed. When I asked some bloke at a gunshop about dies he reckoned to use the standard 8x57 dies. Sounded a bit bodgy to me so I thought I'd ask.
Any other comments on 8x57R would also be appreciated. ie could I expect to duplicate my standard 8x57 loads in the rimmed version etc.
Thanks and Cheers
GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
GG375, you CAN use a set of regular 8X57 dies for the 8X57R. I have an 8X60RS, and use regular RCBS 8X60S dies. The only difference is the shell holder. The RCBS shellholder No. is 26 for the rimmed case, vs No. 3 for the rimless. You can expect identical perfomance, provided your action is strong enough to be loaded to the same levels as a bolt-action!! [Cool]

<Don Martin29>
posted
Looking in the Vihtavuori manual for the pressure limits the 8X57JS is loaded to 49,300 psi and the 8X57JRS 42,100.

I have a 8X57JR and use Norma cases. The dies are RCBS 8X57's but the expander button is .316 borrowed from my 8.15X46 dies. I use a magnum shell holder.

Unless the 7X57R bbl is bad I would not change one to 8X57R.

Military cartridges are frequently popular. You could get .303 British for instance a lot easier.

I have made 8X57R's out of 30/40 Krags by turning the rim thickness down from the case side.

[ 09-22-2002, 05:33: Message edited by: Don Martin29 ]

<eldeguello>
posted
The reason for lower pressure loading data for the 8X57JRS in the VV manual is the fact that this cartridge is often used in break-action combination guns that are not up to the strain of the pressurtes generated by loads that work OK in a M98 Mauser!! If you put an 8X57JS in, for example, a Ruger No. 1 or a Browning M85, it can be loaded to the same levels as the 8X57JS!! The rimmed case is just as strong, or stronger, than the rimless one!! [Big Grin]