New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458 300 Partition at 458 Win Mag velocities
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just happened into a 458 Winchester. Never loaded for it but was wondering if anyone has used the "45-70 300g Partition" at 458 velocities (2550 fps). I assume that Nosler specifies "45-70" because the bullet is designed to open at around 2000 but I can't see the disadvantage to a partitioned core bullet pushed faster. This will be used as an under 200 elk thumper.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
snowcat
I have had 2 458,s 2 45/70,s and currently use a 450 No2 so I have used the .458 bore quite a bit.
I will admit I am a believer in PREMIUM bullets for big game.
While the 300 gr Partitrion is a great bullet at its velocity window, 2550 fps on elk ain't it.
For elk in the 458 the "least" bullet I would use is the 350 Hormady at 2300fps or LESS.
I think a 400gr North Fork, Trophy Bonded Bearclaw Swift A Frame etc would be much better.

For deer and pigs a 300 grain in the 458 at @ 1800 is great.
The 350gr at 2300 or less is ok for elk and black bear, with the 400 to 450 grain bullets being the beat for North American game.
Remember it is the bullet that does all the work, if you drive too light a bullet too fast you are asking for trouble.
My life, and the life of others with me was saved by a 458 Win Mag.
I really like the 458 bore, as there are bullets for all game at all velocities, but it is up to the hunter to choose the right combination.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted Hide Post
The 300 grain Partition was designed for the 450 Marlin and that range velocities. Heed the warning from NE450#2, he is right.

I called Nosler on that and I was quite surprised to discover that the velocity window for that Partition was quite small. It works great in the 450 Marlin, but not in the 458 Win Mag or the 45-70. Well, of course it would work in the 458 Win Mag at 450 Marlin velocities, but why use it when you have so many other options?

The Hornady 350g is a good one in the 458 WM, it is what I use in mine. The Barnes, Bearclaws, A Frames, Hawk, or a good hard cast, if you swing that way, are all excellent choices.

If you really insist on using the Partition in the 458 Bore, let me know and I will cut you a good deal. I have a whole box of them and only 10 were seated in 45-70 cases. I had to pull them as I sure couldn't hunt with them. Otherwise, the box is intact.

RobertD

RobertD

I prefer my fish raw, my meat extra rare, and P.E.T.A on the BBQ. Any questions?

(Pork Enhanced Through Alcohol)

Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member CRPA
SCI Golden Gate Chapter
www.woodpeckings.com

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowcat,

Nosler is pretty good about answering technical questions on their bullets.

Drop them an e-mail, or call them on the phone.

I have found them eager to help in the past.

And, let us hear what they say...I am curious too.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowcat:
I just happened into a 458 Winchester. Never loaded for it but was wondering if anyone has used the "45-70 300g Partition" at 458 velocities (2550 fps). I assume that Nosler specifies "45-70" because the bullet is designed to open at around 2000 but I can't see the disadvantage to a partitioned core bullet pushed faster. This will be used as an under 200 elk thumper.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

YOu will probably be lucky to get better than a 3" group because the twist of a .458 win mag. is too fast for such a short bullet. But the 400 gr. North Fork, Kodia, or Woodleigh will work great.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The woodleigh 400 gr protected point is worth a look I reckon.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
It works great in the 450 Marlin, but not in the 458 Win Mag or the 45-70.
That is interesting because the 450 Marlin and 45-70 Gov't are virtual ballistic equivalents when loaded to their potential in Marlin lever guns. Why pray tell can one not hunt with the .458" 300 grain Nosler Partition Protected Point in the 45-70?

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote