New
Find
Notify
Tools

Okay, now what?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some of you will remember me posting a question about an NEI mould for the 348 Winchester. It has a semi-spitzer nose, and is too sharp for the Model 71. I was looking for recommendations, and one man suggested I "bump up" the bullets; put a flat on the nose by running them up into a die with a SWC seater plug installed.

Well, I have done that with about 20 bullets, and over half of them come back down bent!! The press is level, the ram is level, and the bullets are square going in. What the heck is going on? I have been handloading for over 20 years, and have shot a lot of one-hole groups with handloads that came out of this press. I don't get it! The seater plug is tight, and the die is tight in the press. What is bending these bullets? Any ideas?

Thanks, guys...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the nose of the bullet is resting on the flat of the SWC punch and there is nothing to support the ogive so, instead of flatteining the nose, you are bending the bullet.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I am getting a good flat on the nose, but the bullet is bending completely along the axis, from top to bottom.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote