Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading the barnes X-bullet for .338 win mag
 Login/Join

posted
I recently purchased a box of Barnes X-bullets, 250 grain Flat Base Bullets to load in my custom Mauser 98 action. I am planning on taking it out for elk next fall and want to work up a good accurate load. Can anyone fill me in with some reloading data for .338 Win Mag? I also bought 100 bulk cases from Remington, but i almost feel I should at least shoot them once and resize them before I load the Barnes bullets up. I look forward to any and all replies.
thanks
mike

NRA LIFE/ENDOWMENT MEMBER

Posts: 10 | Location: western pa | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am beggining to reload for this round as well and chose the 225 gr woodleigh as my bullet for now (protected point) There is some data on the AR reloading pages and if you do a search on this forum you will come up with some good loads I think.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful of the 250 gr X bullet, as it is VERY long, and has a lot of bearing surface.

Check out the Barnes Manual # 3 page 499 and it shows 60 gr of IMR 4350 as a starting point, also 66 gr of Rel 19.

Work up slowly from there.

Also, be sure you are at least .050 off the lands.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had excellent results using Rl-22 and 250 grain bullets in my 338s.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the good info, i really appreciate you guys taking the time to help out.
this gives me alot of different ways to go. and yes, they are very long. i did read about staying .050 off the lands to start and then maybe working in a little closer.
mike

NRA LIFE/ENDOWMENT MEMBER

Posts: 10 | Location: western pa | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike 8 with the x bullets you may be able to go for the 225 gr x bullet of there is one and have good sd and a bit better velocity ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote