Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lead Free Pistol Reloading
 Login/Join

posted
I am trying to reduce my lead exposure while shooting at indoor ranges. Can anyone refer me to a source of lead free pistol primers and frangible bullets. Thanks a lot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.accurabullets.com/

I have been consulting for this company as they develop and refine their new lines of pistol and rifle bullets.

They make a 125 grain frangible bullet in 40 S&W that is extremely accurate. Try it with 5.6 grains of WW 231 powder.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
You don't really need afrangible, just a total jacketed bullet. Those from Ranier & Berry's are fine for indoor work. AS to lead free primers, I'm not sure they are available to the handloading fraternity yet.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont know of any source for lead free primers. The Speer reloading manual says something about them only being available in loaded ammo. "Their unique chemical characteristics require extra operations in loading, and they are suitable only with certain propellant types. It will be some time before lead free primers are developed to the point that they" will be available to reloaders. My manual was printed in 1999. I'm not sure if they've found solutions to the problems yet.

A total metal jacket bullet should really cut down your exposure.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NM,

Check out Sinterfire a company in Western PA making bullets out of frangible copper and other alloys but all lead free. The Web site states that they have loading information. I have not used their bullets but they seem to be more and more widely used.
Good luck
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your responses.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Remember the amount of lead you breath is also affected by what the others useing the range are shooting, how well the range is vented, the general housekeeping done there, on top of the ammo you`re useing. The biggest danger from lead is breathing the vapors. The dust also posses a hazard but can be filtered with a cheap dust mask.
Winchester makes non toxic ammo with fully plated/jacketed bullet and cases with oversize flash holes needed for the lead free primers that aren`t available to the buying public.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lead free primers are imported by PMC and were in stock at WWW.Graffs.COM a couple of months ago. They are sold under the brand name " PMC GREEN ".

I have tried the small pistol version of these primers and have noticed they are not as sensitive as Federal primers.

Travis F.