About 30

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
[
The reason for the question? Obviously it is to serve the purpose of calming my antzness about having so many rifles and die sets. Wink
For many years, I have had so many different rifles, in different parts of the country, and so many projects, often going at the same time, with different gunsmiths, that I've had to use Excel spreadsheet to keep up with the status of them all. Sometimes, that seems ridiculous.

So, thank you L.P. for asking this question, so I can feel a bit normal, since I only have about 35 die sets, not counting two sets, 7.62x39, and 338 Federal, which I don't hav rifles for anymore. Big Grin

KB

Although Kabluewy and I sometimes strongly disagree here on A.R. and don't know each other personally in the real world, it is obvious we have walked many many footsteps in each other's shoes over the years. Therefore I feel a great deal of empathy and respect for the content of his posting in this thread.

During my own version of our shared life-style, I have owned & sold large collections of guns several times,. Each time I intended to take up entirely different avocations and to own no more than 3 or 4 guns, tops, ever again.

BUT inevitably I was drawn back into the "gun-nut" web which ensnares many firearms afficanados with the same strength that "crack" or "meth" clutches dopers.

Each and every time that has happened I have ended up repurchasing many die sets I had previously owned. In the process of selling & buying again, I learned a couple of things:

1. You don't get any significant amount more money if you sell a gun with dies than if you sell it without them.

2. Due to the inflation which has seemed inevitable for the past few centuries, the dies always cost substantially more the next time around.

So, about 35 years ago I quit selling ANY dies when I sell a gun. The result? I now have over 150 sets of dies and can cobble up loads for danged near anything that sneaks into my vault.

Just in case any of you are getting serious enough about shooting to be on the verge of getting your own wildcat chambered rifles, let me warn you...the same thing has happened to me with chambering reamers.

There are many heavily traveled roads in the shooting sports. More than one leads to "accumulation addiction". And oddly enough, the less wealthy you are, the harder it strikes!

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
50 ish

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
WOW! I thought I was getting out of control and should cull some rifles/components, you guys just made me feel better.. tu2

Didnt count but Im guessing 10-15.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote