New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard cast .44 bullet choice ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a good commercial source for hard cast bullets for my S&W629.

Criteria is accuracy & terminal performance at moderate velocities. Minimal (or no) leading, & reasonable cost would be nice, as well.

I have used gas checked Cast Performance bullets in my #1 w/ good success. I am considering their plain base 255's, but they are a bit pricy.

I have read mixed reviews on the Laser Cast line. Some like 'em, some say they lead...

Then there is the legendary Keith SWC.... Any quality commercial supply of this style?

I'm thinking Unique, AA #5 / #7, or V V N-340 / N-350 for this project

Comments & recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Regards - GCF
"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt"

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gcf,

I've used the Laser Cast 240swc and 180tc plain based bullets in my Marlin '94 rifle and they worked fine as long as I pushed them out fast. They are a little too hard for plinking. I cast the Lyman #429421 plain base Keith type 245grn and use the same max loads of H110, AA#9, #2400, or LilGun. Once my barrel was smoothed out and broken in good, the fast hard cast bullets are the most accurate for me. I've been using a alloy melt of BHN 17 1/2 for my own casting but just recently bought a Saeco hardness tester and tested a Laser Cast 170gr 30/30 bullet. It tested 17 1/2 also, I haven't tested any other caliber of Laser Cast bullets that I have but plan to.

Bill

Posts: 128 | Location: Hensley, AR | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlueMoon:
gcf,
I cast the Lyman #429421 plain base Keith type 245grn and use the same max loads of H110, AA#9, #2400, or LilGun. Once my barrel was smoothed out and broken in good, the fast hard cast bullets are the most accurate for me.
Bill

If I understand correctly, you are using these bullets in a .44 handgun, & not your Marlin.

Are these sized .429, .430, or what? I have noted that LaserCast 240's are sized .4315 as a result of leading issues w/ .430.

Aside from good accuracy potential, I'm looking for a bullet that won't lead the bore. Of course from what I have heard, any cast bullet will lead, if it is not sized correctly, w/ regards to the chamber throat & bore diameter. Can you comment on that?

Thanks in advance!

Regards - GCF
"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt"

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gcf,

No, I shot the Laser Cast in my rifle at max velocities. At least, the 240lswc's. I shot the 180's pretty fast but I don't think it was max for that lighter bullet. Some Marlin rifles are supposed to have oversize barrels but mine did OK. For the 240's I was using 24.0grns of H110 or W296. BM

Bill

PS: My favorite load now is 23.5-24.5grns LilGun with regular primer under the Ly. 429421 for 1800fps and my best 100yd accuracy. I also like the H4227 with hard cast loads. I haven't bought any LC bullets in several years except the .357-180grn True Shot bullets that are very good from my 6" revolver with 15.0grns LilGun. I think my older LC 44 bullets were sized .430", I'll have to get one and check it out.

Posts: 128 | Location: Hensley, AR | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote