New
Find
Notify
Tools

light bullet(high BC)/heavy one(low BC)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Light bullet with high BC;is it the likely choice for shooting at low range(300 yards). my shooting is no more than 300 yards right now.Heavier bullet is my choice at that range;but I have seen somewhere that should be the light one that should shoot more accuratetly at low range,up to 300 yards.Is a light bullet(high BC ) is for low range,is the heavy one(low BC)is for medium to long range.Searching for a good load means buying different bullets and powders,can become costly...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whichever bullet that has a higher BC, no matter how light or heavy they are, will have less wind drift, less wind drift means better long range accuracy. But light bullets can be shot at higher velocity and will have flatter trajectory at short ranges, this is beneficial to hunters/snipers as flat trajectory is less sensitive to range estimation errors. If you are shooting at less than 300m then it's not a bad idea to use a light bullet that has a high BC, such as Sierra MatchKing.

Hope this answers your question.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you may be a bit confused with the BC thing. Generally, the lighter for caliber bullets have a low BC, and the heavier ones have a high BC. For example, in my .223 I can fire 35 gr bullets that have a low BC, or 60 gr bullets with a much higher BC. Of course, there are exceptions to that rule, like when you use a heavy but flat-nosed bullet (low BC due to poor aerodynamics). The higher the BC, the flatter the bullet will fly and the less it
will drift in the wind. However, BC has little impact on accuracy unless you start shooting at longer ranges in windy conditions.

What caliber are you shooting? With almost all big-game hunting situations, a change in BC will make very little usable difference in the field out to 250 yrds or so. If hunting varmints, though, the higher BC can play a big part in accurate hits on small targets at 300+ yds, where even a 1" difference in wind drift can spell a hit or miss. We need more information from you: what cartridge, what are you hunting, that kind of thing. Hopefully we can give you more help then. Peace.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify, I'm speaking to rejpelly in my previous post, not Pyrotek. You made a good point about the flatter trajectory due to higher velocity. Peace.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The caliber that I reload is the .30-378 WBY,also I have begun reloading the.338 RUM.I will specify the topic:light bullet(high BC) vs heavy bullet(low BC round nose)/light one(low BC)vs heavy one (high BC),same caliber/another caliber the .338 RUM.I shot 300 rounds(reloads) with the .30-378,with 180 grs bullets,Barnes XBT,Speer SBT,Nosler BST;the accuracy 2"-2.5" MOA at 100 yards,powders H-50bmg,H-4831SC,H-1000.My shooting range up to 300 yards,medium-sized game to moose.I plan using the 150 grs bullets,Hornandy SST,Sierra MK vs Sierra SPT, Hornandy SP vs 200 grs Hornandy SP,Sierra SPT vs Sierra MK,220 RN.Buying these bullets will be expensive,should I go with the light ones or with the heavy ones.The .338RUM is a "lad" of a big gun,for sized deer game I reload the 160 Barnes,I will also reload 180 BST,on moose Hornandy 200 grs SP,250 RN and Sierra 300 MK.Which bullet will give the most flatten line/accuracy at that range,is the "dropping"can be accurately compensated at this range

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a 30-378 it just doesn't matter. Shoot a 180 grain bullet. It will be point blank at all ranges to 300 yards and wind drift will be negligible when shooting at big game.

Indy

one of us
posted Hide Post
To clarify what BC means, check the following site: http://www.chuckhawks.com/bc.htm

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Indy;my particular Accumark dont like the 180 grainers,so I have to go with 150 grs or higher than 180 grs.Boat tail or not ,I really dont know what will be a good load,1.5 MOA at 100 yards,I will be happy with that.The only way that I was able to get 1.5 MOA,100 yards,was using too much hot loads,the barrel life of this rifle should be no more than 1500 rounds,I like to find an accurate load before the barrel is gone...

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
It appears you have been reading too many gun ragazines, and are not aware of the basics.

You select a bullet which will meet your needs. Considering that more game has been taken with the .22 LR and .30-30 Winchester than all other calibers combined (and neither have earth-shattering BC's) what is your dilemma?

If you do not hunt and strictly do informal paper-punching, then the BC means nothing.

Before worrying about BC, make sure that you and your rifle can maintain consistant 5-shot groups at 300 yards of less than 1-inch.

If you are getting 2.5 MOA, that is 7.5 inches at 300 yards...and that my friend cannot be compensated for by BC...and it is also the difference between a one-shot kill and spending the day hoping you find a blood trail.

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

[This message has been edited by ricciardelli (edited 04-28-2002).]

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No-one can predict which bullet will be most accurate in a rifle without trying several bullets.Each gun will have it's own preference which you will discover only by trial and error.Even with the same bullet weight different bullets will shoot very differently out of most rifles.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ricciardelli: at 300 yards I get 6-7" inch group.I tried 180 grainers,thet are not accurate.Trying boat tail or not,now I know wont make a difference if they dont group.Heard somewhere that some caliber prefer boat rather than spitzer.Ihave to try bullets different than 180 grs.I cannot yet find an accurate load;boat tail/spitzer/round nose, I have to find the good one,I hope that will be before the barrel is gone....

posted Hide Post
Check for bedding problem, retorque the action screws, etc. Is the group vertical, horiz. or all over?

Posts: 9 | Location: usa | Registered: 13 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
rejpelly...

If I may make a suggestion, move up to the 200 grain Sierra HPBT bullet and try H-50BMG powder (111.0 to 117.0 grains) with Federal 215 primers.

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJD; commom sense coming out at last,my particular rifle (30-378 WBY),the rifle has vertical stringing aboout 2.5 MOA,horizonnaly no more than 1 inch;with 180 grs, I try every possible options,changing primers,Fed.215,CCI 250,WIN wlrm,C.O.L,using three different Hodgdon powder,neck sizing,full lengh sizing,partial sizing, the minimum or maximum lube,annealating,using brand new cases,one fired one,two or tree fired ones,make sure all the dies are cristal clear,adjusting the the expander to be center in the neck of the case,playing with the powder so;I cant get this rifle to shoot below 2,5MOA.I have noticed something unusual about loaded ammos by Weatherby,180 grs Barnes X,with the manufacturer rounds,I have injector mark on all of them.I chrono theirs velocities at 3356feet/sec,with no sign of high pressure,but with my reloads if I get to that velocity I have ejector mark and high pressure signs,primer pocket enlarged too much,the brass is to hard going through the full sizer.I know there is something with that rifle,I shoot more than 300 reloads,it is always the same using the 180 grainers,I let the barrel completly cooling dowm after two shoots,I shoot that rifle at temp. not over 60 F.Runout more than .002,I use mimimun and max. load,case neck inside and outside clean...