New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swift Scirocco
 Login/Join

<PCH>
posted
Anyone tried the Swift Scirocco bullet?? What kind of performance can be expected from it, if shot out of a 308 win?

I'm thinking a 165 gr .30 cal Scirocco with mv around 2700-2800 fps might be a good allround bullet for roedeer to moose.

Any other ideas??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Accuracy is amazing. I am using 150 gr in a 7stw. And am getting just under .5 inch groups at 100 yards. And it is holding 3 inch groups at 500 meters. I have not yet used them for hunting, but will be this year. I have been told they guarantee 75% weight retension. If that is true they will be deadly.

Good luck

Posts: 182 | Location: Okotoks, Alberta | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric Leonard>
posted
at 50 bucks a 100 they better be good or they wont be around long.

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
$50 per hundred for a high quality bullet is right on. There ain't no "fee lunch" anywhere!

<monyhunter>
posted
At $50 for 100 you have to look at other bullets before you think that is bad.

Barnes X go for $28 for 50. That's almost $60 bucks for 100.

One of these days I am going to splurge and try the Lost River Ballistics in 7mm. They are $38 for 20 or...$190 for 100.

I have always thought that you get what you pay for. (most of the time)

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I have got to try some of Gerards bullets from gs custom someday. They have got to be the highest tech looking bullet I've seen. The accuracy claims here have been right "on par" with the looks too!! And evidently they do barnes type "on game" performance.
I'm trying to get some of my buddys to get "brave enough" to split some boxes with me for a trial. I've got about 4 different calibers in mind to try!

<bigcountry>
posted
I can't say I have had good luck out of them in my 300RUM. This gun seems to like Sierra gamekings and Speer Grand Slams. First off, for some wierd reason the bullet shot 2" higher at 100 yards than bullets of same wieght. I talked to Swift and Remington about this and they said it is caused by vibrations in the barrel due to the thick jacket. This might be corrected with a boss system. Second, I never could find a load or seating combo the gun liked. The best groups was 2". Thats just one guys experience though. I have heard but never seen that people are completly satisfyed with them and they are getting groups of 3/4 MOA. But I will have to see it to believe it in a 300UM. When gather information on the bullet Remington said that accuracy would suffer with this bullet compared to Nosler PT due the thick jacket. He tried to explain that it is a big game bullet and the kill zone was much bigger on a moose than a deer, etc, etc. He was selling and I wasn't buyin. I believe its a crock. If I want a big game bullet, then I switch to bearclaws. Some use the A frames by swift, but after that scirocco mess, I don't think so.

<jayloar>
posted
I've shot 150gr and 165gr Scirocco's out of my 300WSM. I haven't been able to get good accuracy yet. When you've got $100 sunk into 2 boxes of bullets you'd like to find something you are happy with. Hasn't happened yet. Sure love the design of the bullets, should be awesome on game if you can get them to group. I think I've exhausted the possibilities for the 165gr but H414 and 150gr may work. Every gun is different. Your gun may love them, wish mine did.

<T-Shot>
posted
I am wondering the same thing. I have a 7MM and have it addicted to the 150 grain Scirocco's. It shoots great, but how will it perform on an elk at close range? I am worried about it possibly blowing up. Anybody out there ever shot an elk with the scirocco's. How did it perform and at what range were you shooting?

T-shot

<Harald>
posted
T-Shot, I wouldn't worry about the bullet blowing up. The .284-150 gr Scirocco appears to be about as sturdy as any lead core 7 mm I have tested (including Swift A-Frame, Nosler Partition, North Fork). They are soft but not explosive or lightly constructed.

<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by T-Shot:
I am wondering the same thing. I have a 7MM and have it addicted to the 150 grain Scirocco's. It shoots great, but how will it perform on an elk at close range? I am worried about it possibly blowing up. Anybody out there ever shot an elk with the scirocco's. How did it perform and at what range were you shooting?

T-shot

I would not worry about shooting an elk with the Scirocco. So far I've shot three elk with a 180 gr. 30 cal Scirocco and have no complaints.

I shoot a 300 Win Mag Remington Sendero with a custom, cut-rifled, 1/11 twist 26" stainless barrel. Accuracy is good with either IMR-4350 or H1000. Velocity is about 3150 fps with loads under max using both of those powders. Bullets are moly coated (NECO).

Living in Colorado we have more elk than people to shoot them. I've used Nosler 180 gr. BTs on them and while I've never lost an elk, it was obvious this bullet is very marginal for that big of an animal when traveling at 300 Win Mag velocities.

The Sirocco is attractive because, in theory, it should have the accuracy of a BT with the terminal performance of a partition. The first elk I shot was at 200 yards in the head. Had this been a BT, the elk would have ended up without a head. The head was opened up pretty good but I was satisfied that the bullet didn't explode on impact. The second elk was shot at about 400 yards breaking both front legs and exiting after passing through the lungs. I don't think you can ask for more from a bullet. The animal still managed about 50 yards on flat snow before falling. Later I found another 30 cal round in it's right hind quarter and a 58 caliber muzzle loader bullet just under the skin on it's left thigh (it arriving there after having passed through it's right knee). The knee had healed though didn't seem to work that well at all. It was interesting that prior to my shooting it, the elk showed no signs of injury. Elk are tough animals and shooting them with the right class of bullet is important to putting them down quickly. The third elk was shot at about 225 yards through the lungs, broadside. Exit hole showed reasonable expansion, akin to what I've seen from partitions.

In a 7mag a 150 gr. Scirocco should be fine on an elk. I wouldn't attempt a Texas heart shot with it but it should break bones and/or provide full broadside penetration at any reasonable hunting distance. It's essentially a ballistic tip with partition-like terminal performance.

Lastly, I'd used a load of 77 gr. RL-22 for my partitions and BTs. With the Scirocco this load was warm and inaccurate. Perhaps this is the result of the thicker jacket of the Scirocco. I abandoned RL-22 and went to IMR-4350 and H1000 and have achieved acceptable 300 yard accuracy.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
re5513