New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 Rem Dies loading for AR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im wanting to load .223 Rem for my S&W AR-15. In your opinion which die set would you reccomend? Do i need the "small base" die sets? Or can i got with a regular die set. Thanks
What Brand & your thoughts please

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two AR-15's, both in .223. I have shot thousands of rounds of reloaded ammo in both of them. I use a set of standard (not small base) Redding dies, and have never had a single problem with feed or function. I do take care to clean the chamber with a GI issue chamber brush after each range/hunting session. I have found RL-15 with heavy (>69gr.) bullets and H335 with lighter (<69 gr.) bullets to be efficient and clean burning gunpowders.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bill.

Posts: 258 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Hey, Bill.

I'll jump on the Redding bandwagon too. I've been running Varget and H335.I use the competition seater since it's easier to reset for different bullets and I can write down the setting. Redding is a first rate company to deal with.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
A standard RCBS die has loaded many different 223/5.56 firearms for me without problem. But RCBS does tell you to buy a small base die for auto. So, it really comes down to "how tight is your chamber"

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redding benchrest bushing type dies. Zero problems and very easy on the brass.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use standard dies for all my AR's. However I would like to try the X dies. They are supposed to help reduce neck growth. I get tired of trimming cases so often.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Ern Mccracken
posted Hide Post
If you're unsure how tight your chamber is I would recommend an RCBS small base die. Also I would recommend using mag primers like the CCI 450 or their mil spec primers.

No fun if it decides to go boom while stripping a round from the mag.

One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
I use Forster bench rest dies for my AR15 in high power rifle competition with good results.

DR #2276, P-100 2021